Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2018, 11:23   #1

Shower drain pump won’t automatically turn on

I have a lagoon440 with a floor shower drain, float switch connected to a jabsco 50880-1000 shower drain pump. The pump will turn on and pump fine, manually (turning an under cabinet switch on), however, it has stopped operating in the automatic mode. I’ve found corrosion in several connectors near the pump and replaced them, but not sure where to look next. Any advice appreciated as guests are arriving tomorrow...

Regards
xhogpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 11:42   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Shower drain pump won’t automatically turn on

Have you tested the float switch? Fairly common failure point.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 11:44   #3

Not sure how, thanks
xhogpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 11:58   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Surest, easiest test, disconnect the float switch from the circuit. Get a voltmeter and set it to resistance (ohms). Connect one meter lead to each wire of the float switch.

Switch OFF (float down) you should see infinite resistance IE an open circuit. Swith ON (lift the float up) you should see zero to maybe 5-6 ohms or a short circuit.

Another way to test. 12V power goes in one side of the float switch and is supposed to come out of the other when the float goes up. Test to make sure you have 12V on one side then lift up the float and see if you have 12 V out the other.

BUT!!! If you have a really bad or very corroded connection in the circuit you will sometimes see 12V when there is no load (like the pump motor) connected but connect the load and the bad connection won't let any current through and voltage drops to zero or very low. To test this, check voltage with the load disconnected and if you see 12V test again with the load connected.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 13:34   #5

Boat: Outremer 55L

The simplest first step in the OP’s situation is to lift the float switch, or add water to float it up. If that doesn’t start the pump motor replace the float switch. It’s a simple job, just ensure your seal the connections (heat shrink). If the pump starts problem solved.

If the new float switch doesn’t start the motor that’s a bigger problem and you do the investigation suggested by skipmac. And you now have a spare float switch, which is not a bad thing.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 08:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhogpilot View Post
I have a lagoon440 with a floor shower drain, float switch connected to a jabsco 50880-1000 shower drain pump. The pump will turn on and pump fine, manually (turning an under cabinet switch on), however, it has stopped operating in the automatic mode. I’ve found corrosion in several connectors near the pump and replaced them, but not sure where to look next. Any advice appreciated as guests are arriving tomorrow...

Regards
as others have said most likely the float switch

being a shower
check the pump for hair clogging
if its that the pumps likely screwed

slightly OT: Ive no idea how to implement it but I think a fault light for pumps would be a great idea
Old 17-04-2018, 15:30   #7

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

You must be able to access the shower pump. It is located with the float switch in the shower sump.

There should be a filter in the sump which prevents hair, pieces of paper and other substances dropped in a shower from reaching the pump--which is just a bilge pump.

Sometimes these pumps incorporate their own float switch--sometimes the float switch is a separate item.

I wire mine so that when the pump is running, a red LED lights in the shower so I can see no water is going into the bilges from an overflowing sump. This goes out when the pump no longer is connected--it is just permanently wired across the pump terminals and it draws so little current that its effect is almost negligible.

The next wiring, should the red light not go on, is an over-ride of the float switch. This switch is waterproof and mounted just outside the shower. When that is switched, the float switch is bypassed and the pump turned on--and this is indicated by the red LED glowing. That means one v=can finish one's shower before replacing the float switch or repairing a faulty joint.

Pump and float switch leads are long and made from tinned copper conductors. Do not shorten them--leave them long, and OUTSIDE the closed sump. mount their ends to terminals in a waterproof connection box located as high as possible in the bilge or on a bulkhead clear of the bilges if possible.

I have replaced two micro-switch float switches and one sump pump in four years of constant use and another four years of weekends and holidays only.

I have removed and cleaned the filter grid more times than I care to remember--so check this item first and take a bucket with you--
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 16:32   #8

Boat: Pelin Sterling 26

I have just replaced my float switch as it was starting and sometimes not stopping which would have burnt out the pump. New one is fine and branded RoHS. Cost was $12 on line and it turned up the next day. Fitting took 25 mins.
sand6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 08:31   #9

Boat: Between boats

There may exist in the circuit a timed relay switch mounted next to the pump. This can fail and eventually no efforts will make the pump work. I removed the relay from the circuit to simplify things. You could also replace the relay.

Tags
cal, shower