Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2016, 12:43   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Septic tank question

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
There is a hose inside the tank?
On a lot of tanks the discharge fitting is on the top of the tank. That requires a pickup tube inside the tank that goes to the bottom. It should touch the bottom and be cut at about a 25 degree angle. Any shallower and sludge or undissolved TP can clog it...any steeper leaves too much in the tank.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 12:44   #17

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Check to make sure that hoses aren't connected wrong. The inlet from the head may be attached to the pumpout connection, and the pumpout could be connected to the inlet for the head. The tank would fill even though the tube is close to the bottom, but the pump out obviously won't work from the top of the tank.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 12:54   #18

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Attached is the waste water schematic from my Hunter 38-2005. I think your layout should be similar. It all points to the most probable cause being the clogging of the pumpout tube going down in the BW tank, as indicated already by Kenomac.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1469994882.999544.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	128801

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Cruisers Sailing Forum
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:54   #19

Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

One other possibility is an air leak in the tank. My tank is molded into the bow of the boat with a stainless steel cover bolted on. The pumpout tube is stainless steel welded to vent cover. It developed a pinhole at the weld and when I tried to pump out the tank it just sucked air through the pumpout line.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 01-08-2016, 09:29   #20

Boat: ODAY 28

same problem my friend had on his boat, it was a vacuum leak at the holding tank fitting
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:34   #21
cruiser

Been there done that on a Hunter..... His pumpout tube is clogged with sludge and sh&t. It's really that simple.

The OP can first try putting an enzyme or bleach down the pumpout tube to break up the excrement, or go in and get dirty by lifting the tube a bit off the bottom, pump out the mess, then use enzymes to break down all the hard crap on the bottom of the tank. Then give his boat "enemas till clear" down at the pumpout station.

Basically, his boat suffers from a fecal impaction.... Just ask any registered nurse.

http://www.enemastillclear.com
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:18   #22

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Been there done that on a Hunter..... His pumpout tube is clogged with sludge and sh&t. It's really that simple.

The OP can first try putting an enzyme or bleach down the pumpout tube to break up the excrement, or go in and get dirty by lifting the tube a bit off the bottom, pump out the mess, then use enzymes to break down all the hard crap on the bottom of the tank. Then give his boat "enemas till clear" down at the pumpout station.

There's a product called Zaal Noflex Digestor Sewage Treatment that is said to be able to break down fecal sludge. Dave the Noflex guy posts here occasionally... or maybe that's on Trawler Forum, can't remember perfectly. Demo on his website, etc.

Presumably some of the Noflex powder and a little water introduced periodically via the pump-out tube could gradually open it up... and then subsequent treatments on the tank itself could presumably clear up the "floor" of the tank, too.

No affiliation.

And actually it'd be good feedback if the user can report back that it works. Or not.

-Chris
Old 01-08-2016, 12:35   #23
Marine Service Provider

His pumpout tube is clogged with sludge and sh&t. It's really that simple.

Or maybe not. If the pickup is metal, urine may have eaten holes in it....it even may have fallen off. In fact, that could happen even the tube is plastic if the connection to the tank failed. It really can be THAT simple.
Old 01-08-2016, 18:18   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
Attached is the waste water schematic from my Hunter 38-2005. I think your layout should be similar. It all points to the most probable cause being the clogging of the pumpout tube going down in the BW tank, as indicated already by Kenomac.Attachment 128801

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Cruisers Sailing Forum
I hadn't done a hunter yet thank you for the insights
Old 01-08-2016, 20:49   #25

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The OP said that he could easily fill the tank from the pumpout fitting, so that probably rules out a blockage in the pickup tube. Its more likely a leak. On a 30+ year-old Grand Banks, they used a copper pipe as a pickup. It was corroded like swiss cheese, so I had to replace it with a PVC pipe. OTOH, if the boat is less that 20 years old, the pickup is probably plastic, but an airleak anywhere in the system will keep you from using a vacuum pumpout.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 21:32   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
The OP said that he could easily fill the tank from the pumpout fitting, so that probably rules out a blockage in the pickup tube. Its more likely a leak. On a 30+ year-old Grand Banks, they used a copper pipe as a pickup. It was corroded like swiss cheese, so I had to replace it with a PVC pipe. OTOH, if the boat is less that 20 years old, the pickup is probably plastic, but an airleak anywhere in the system will keep you from using a vacuum pumpout.
He said the pumpout tube filled fast, indicating that it was most likely plugged.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:07   #27

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Maybe you are right--in which case he should try to unblock the pipe by forcing water in from the pumpout fitting side--take a water hose, cut the male end fitting off, turn the water on full blast, and try to shove the hose down the pumpout tube. A bit messy, but better than the alternatives.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:12   #28

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I changed the title from Septic Thank, to Septic Tank. Is there a valve that has to be opened to change from the Macerator to the pump out port? That would be my guess
It's a HOLDING tank... Very little happens in it as anaerobic bacteria don't know how to rock'n roll in force 8... That reminds me what I read on a septic tank pumping truck in St-Thomas VI "Your **** is my bread & butter!"
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:26   #29

Boat: C & C 25 MK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
His pumpout tube is clogged with sludge and sh&t. It's really that simple.

Or maybe not. If the pickup is metal, urine may have eaten holes in it....it even may have fallen off. In fact, that could happen even the tube is plastic if the connection to the tank failed. It really can be THAT simple.
This sounds pretty spot on the suction hose may also be kinked or collapsed due to a clog at the bottom of the tank.
Jim_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:38   #30
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
He said the pumpout tube filled fast, indicating that it was most likely plugged.
He said that as evidence the vent isn't blocked, leaving it unclear whether he meant that the pumpout line filled up or the tank. I guess we'll never know which, 'cuz he seems to have departed the thread.