Old 30-12-2013, 11:11   #106
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Self Designed Large Capacity Compost Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
using my fisheye lens.
Ah. Thus we finally arrive at an answer to the long-standing question, "What sort of woman takes fish-eye photos of her head?"

Old 30-12-2013, 11:42   #107
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
Ocean Girl - Looks good! What kind of ply and paint did you use? Did you make your own pee diverter?
Thanks! My hubby (Rain Dog) built it, I just over saw design and did the finish

We used 1/2 plywood,
I stained it to match the interior wood, then applied three coats of epoxy, decided the wood stain job looked bad so coated two coats of enamel flat black, and final coat of black enamel with the interlux non skid rubber beads, I rolled on without tipping.

The pee diverter is from CHead. It was $90, not that he was price gouging me but because he custom makes them for his heads, and it is way over built. I think I was the first he sold one to. It is mostly fiberglass, we trimmed off the aft rim to fit better to our contraption.

I don't have a fisheye lens pic but I do have this

I will update the blog on the construction process and such and post link here. So far so good

Old 30-12-2013, 22:15   #108

Boat: Jim Michalak designed 25' Caprice and Self Design 32' Shantymaran

Looks great Erica! We're now living with ours full time, starting tomorrow, so I'll have a new perspective in a while. So far the ONLY complaint is the difficulty of covering the "business" without making a bit of a mess. Those damn wood shavings just want to go everywhere!
Old 19-01-2014, 19:36   #109
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We have no issue with that, but we use cocotek peat and fill cup only half full of peat.
Fresh pic of head. I added a little decor.
And yes, it's the fisheye lens to the rescue

I started a page on our blog just for this head adventure.
Old 19-01-2014, 19:40   #110
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Interior, (TMI)
The water jug is a 2.5 gallon and fits perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	74314  
Old 19-01-2014, 20:08   #111

Can we see a photo with the lid and seat up so we can see how the pee diverter attaches to the bucket. Or is the pee diverter attached to the underside of the toilet seat?
Old 19-01-2014, 20:28   #112
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I first taped the diverter to the underside to get the right fit, too far forward and it hits the front of the head. Once I was sure of the diverter location my hubby screwed it to the underside. The paint job got beat up during this process, but never got around to recoating, will add fresh coat of paint yearly anyways.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	123
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	74318  
Old 19-01-2014, 20:30   #113
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Seat in place with lid up.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	132
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	74319  
Old 19-01-2014, 20:43   #114

Boat: PETERSON 44

I am very tempted to try this in our aft head. But
It seems to good to be true. Like late night adds. Vegimatic, no no hair removal , rogain, and penis dysfunction drugs that allow you to back wind your jib while a belt buckle sheets in the main but you sail on. But wait if you order now we will give you a free Jinsu knife set.
I'm waiting for the uhh ohh. Like if your hair gets really stiff for more the 2 hours or you have sudden loss of sense you should contact your doctor. Some people who use these have become delusional, in some cases it is possible your toe nails will turn black and fall off.
But really. 2.5 gallons of piss ain't that much. If your really turning this into compost you need heat and ventilation.
It's friggin freezing here. I think I would be hauling frozen pee ashore and warming it in the rest room so I can dump down the toilet. The poo bag looks like a poo bag.. Great if you could tell us how it really works. Are you hauling poo bags ashore and buckets of pee.Or does it all magically turn to powder and evaporate while belt buckles become cheap alternatives to turning blocks.
Maybe it really works. Let's here how a few weeks of this setup goes.
Old 19-01-2014, 21:02   #115

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34 #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
But really. 2.5 gallons of piss ain't that much. If your really turning this into compost you need heat and ventilation.
It's friggin freezing here. I think I would be hauling frozen pee ashore and warming it in the rest room so I can dump down the toilet. The poo bag looks like a poo bag.. Great if you could tell us how it really works. Are you hauling poo bags ashore and buckets of pee.Or does it all magically turn to powder and evaporate while belt buckles become cheap alternatives to turning blocks.
Maybe it really works. Let's here how a few weeks of this setup goes.
2.5 sure ain't that much. It needs to be emptied every other day. Yes, we haul it ashore if we are at the marina. We probably will eventually put a transfer pump in to pump it directly overboard or into the holding tank for when we are at anchor

It does not really compost. Urine separating heads are actually desiccators, not compositors. It is actually almost the opposite. Composting is all about building up a large colony of aerobic bacteria (it is only the anaerobic that stinks as I understand it) to prevent odor. Desiccators are all about preventing any bacteria colony from forming by preventing any moisture. The bacteria needs moisture to survive. This is done by 1) Separating the urine from the feces 2) putting moisture absorbing materials in with the feces 3) mixing to make sure the moisture absorbing material can absorb all the moisture, and 4) ventilating to keep a good exchange of air in order to prevent moisture build up in the container. All of this is supposed to keep anaerobic bacteria colonies from forming, thus preventing odor. You do not need heat, but ventilation helps. As far as I can tell, all urine separating toilets do #1 and #2 above. All commercial models also do #3. Not all, but some, do #4. We currently do #1, #2, and #3. #4 we will add if we need to, but not until then.

Poo bags you do haul off the boat one way or another (either put in a dumpster or dump offshore), but they only need to be emptied once every month or two (depending on container size).
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 21:23   #116

Boat: PETERSON 44

Thanks for the explanation rain dog. I think that is the fairest most honest explanation I have read. Which I with some humor probed for.
I think I would want a anaerobic bacterial compost system that sifts and ventilated. I still think it could be a good add as a second head.
I have a odd hate of plastic bags. I think that could be overcome if complete break down was occurring.
Anyway thanks something to think about and your install looks great.
Old 19-01-2014, 22:02   #117

Thanks for posting the photos. So you just sit on the plywood top instead of using a conventional toilet seat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Seat in place with lid up.
Old 19-01-2014, 22:40   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I have a odd hate of plastic bags.
Most people just use a bucket. I have not seen anyone else that uses a plastic bag other than us. Not sure if we will long term, we just had some that need to be used up. The commercial systems are Natures Head, Air Head, and C-Head. You can see how the systems work by looking at pictures on their sites.
Old 19-01-2014, 22:42   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
Thanks for posting the photos. So you just sit on the plywood top instead of using a conventional toilet seat?
We just sit on the top. We had a toilet seat on there originally, but took it off in favor of the top. It has routed edges and non-skid. It is quite comfortable and siting directly on the top makes it easier to make sure you are hitting your target.
Old 20-01-2014, 20:46   #120

Hmmm, good idea about losing the toilet seat. I have a couple questions please...

1) I think using a bag is a great idea because then you don't have to clean a poopy bucket. What kind of bags are you using that can handle the weight of the poo without tearing apart when you dispose it later

2) In the photo in your post #110 it looks like you used an oval shaped bucket set sideways in the compartment. Is the bucket oval shaped and set sideways? How many gallons does it hold?

3) Since you didn't hinge the black plywood toilet seat/top of the compartment, what is keeping it in place?

4) Do you know if spraying a little apple cider vinegar on the pee diverter would kill the pee odor like Simple Solution does?

Thanks!

Tags
Compost Head, head

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: