Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-08-2006, 17:31   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"They are virually bullet proof to a 30-06. " Well, if you threw 30-06 slugs at them, probably. But a 30-06 will go through 1/4" boilerplate at 100 yards, I'd avoid the temptation to test these bottles that way.

The good news is that the tanks must be better than ever, Sailorman wants $119.95 today.<G>

Old 25-08-2006, 23:53   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
If you go back and read

you'll see I was talking about the CNG cylinders, WHICH have been shot at, put in firesand dropped from hights, and passed the tests.

I was just saying that the construction is simular. I believe the CNG cylinders use Kevlar in their construction........................_/)

Old 24-11-2006, 02:10   #33

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
New Transparent Propane Cylinders

I just stumbled onto a really cool advancement in propane tanks while cruising on e-bay. Fiber-glass propane tanks. I did a google search and found a couple of manufacturers. This could be the next best thing to roller furling for sailboats . Very low maintenance and all plastic. Anyone trying these for onboard use yet?
Old 24-11-2006, 02:17   #34

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
As it turns out they are safer than steel when subjected to fire. They release the contents slowly rather than an instant failure. I'm excited about this since I was getting ready to mortgage my house to buy a 20# aluminum from Worst Marine. They claim a 20# is $99. I thought I saw one on e-bay for $89. I'm in!!! I hope they bring out a horizontal tank in the near future.
Old 24-11-2006, 05:44   #35
Senior Cruiser

I merged the previous discussion - hope this helps.
Old 24-11-2006, 05:55   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Do the 10 year inspections also apply to Aluminum Propane Tanks?
In the US it is the responsibility of the company doing the filling to judge if the tank is serviceable. It does not matter if it is new or old. My aluminum twin 10# tanks are 15 years old and in perfect condition. I had a new OPD valve put in one and the other has not been changed. They still fill that tank but only 1/2 full. In an outdoor setting it is doubtful a basic steel BBQ tank would last that long. You can buy those new for about $25 US. I can fill one for $10 down the road.

New boat uses one basic 20# tank but I really would like twin 10# tanks again. The new plastic tanks are less than 1/2 the cost of the aluminum tanks. I will consider that option too. Being lighter makes them easier to handle and secure.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 16:09   #37
cruiser

A30-06 will shoot thru 3/8th plate , much thicker than a gas tank, even natural gas.
Brent
Old 26-11-2006, 12:10   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
What's shooting at a Gas tank with a 30-06 got to do with anything. If someone is shooting at my boat, my gas tank standing up to a round is the least of my considerations.

We seem to have an issue with these tanks coming into NZ. Something to do with how they fill and the way the gas is bled off for over filling or something. Apparently so far the tanks don't do it how NZ and I think the UK laws require.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2006, 13:11   #39

Boat: SeaView - Privilege 37
The tanks are built in the EU and have TUV approval as well, as I believe, the UK. They have been used in Europe for a number of years before getting DOT, in the USA, approval. The valve they have are the OPD valves. They are for overpressurization, supposedly they keep the tank from experiencing catastrophic failures due to overfilling and temperature drive pressure changes.

I have been using the things for almost two years now. They have been great. I threw out my steel tank becasue it was getting rather rusted. My aluminum tank is holding up well though! So, so far, so good.

I like that I can see the level of fuel in them. I have lots of warning on when I need to top up. Most places I have been filling up at in the last year charge by the tank. You put 1 lb in, $17. So, being able to cut it close to the bottom is VERY nice. With the aluminum, I end up pulling it dry and carry a spare to make sure I am always covered. But, it is nice to know you're not going to have enough fuel to keep the propane heater running the night, or enough to cook dinner for the folks that are headed over.

Cheers.

Keith
Old 27-11-2006, 01:02   #40

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Riel
A30-06 will shoot thru 3/8th plate , much thicker than a gas tank, even natural gas.
Brent
Ahh, another lets shoot em up thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: