Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2019, 14:27   #1

Sealand T series pump recommended spares

Just replaced my macerator pump with the T-Series diaphragm pump to hopefully gain some more reliability.

What would you recommend in the way of spares since I am out cruising. I was thinking at least a second set of duck bill valves. Is it worth while to carry a new bellows assembly?
felizcortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 15:21   #2

Boat: Tayana 58 DS
Re: Sealand T series pump recommended spares

I've had the pump motor seize up on me after a few years. I had some visitors flying in a week later, and I had them bring a whole new pump -- that way I would have spares for everything. The motor alone was almost the price of a new pump.

Then, another year or two later, the diaphragm failed(bellows split). I already had the spare bellows on board from replacement pump they had brought.

In short, keeping a whole pump as backup worked well for us.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 20:03   #3
Marine Service Provider

Duckbills yes, but they should only need replacing every 3-5 years because--unlike its vacuum pump counterpart--it doesn't have to hold a vacuum. I had one on one of my own boats that was 11 years old and still going strong when I sold the boat and I'd never replaced the duckbills or the bellows. (Not recommending that, though.) Might be worthwhile to carry a bellows though, 'cuz the pump does need it work, and although you'll prob'ly never need to replace it, it's better to have one and not need it than not have one and wish you had.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 20:58   #4

Boat: Kristen 52

I have four of these pumps, two vacuum head ones(4 duckbills)and two standard ones.
I found it more economical to just source a entire pump for spare parts, bellows, motor etc, the housings hold up, so don’t really need those but if you buy piece meal parts it’s more money. Defender is where I bought mine.
Spare duckbills for sure.
I’ve had to replace one motor, one bellows and some duckbills so far, have had boat for three years. Pumps are many years old.
Old 23-09-2019, 11:44   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 50

The normal fail mode for the T-Series is leaving solids in the pump. The Duckbills get distorted if a bit of tissue holds one open for an extended time, and solids can build up under the diaphragm and compact. The best maintenance for these is to flush a large volume of plain water through after discharging the waste.
Mojadito is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, pump