Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2016, 12:44   #1

Boat: Liberty 49
Seacock: Bronze or Marelon

I need to replace a broken bronze seacock. Should I replace it with bronze (hard if not impossible to find in Greece) or Marelon which is also difficult but may be available?

All advice gratefully received.

Mike
captmikecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 13:41   #2

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight
Re: Seacock: Bronze or Marelon

I replaced all my bronze seacocks with Marlon 9 years ago and never looked back. Much less maintenance and totally reliable. Just regularly use the lube the recommend.
Old 01-05-2016, 13:42   #3

This might be of some use in deciding:

What Marelon Is

Basically, bronze is stronger, but Marelon avoids corrosion issues (incl. galvanic).

-- Seneca
KISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 13:46   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I'm not a big fan of plastic seacocks but a lot of people use them without problem.
Forespar makes two styles of Marlon seacock. The one they sell to the aftermarket has a triangular base and I think the stem is undersized and can break.
Flange Mounting Seacocks

The other one they market to boat builders. I couldn't find it on their website but it has a round base and seems much better made. Even though Forespar doesn't try to sell this to end users, any Forespar dealer can order one for you.

If I were replacing a seacock today, I'd use Groco products. I think they are a good value.
Seacocks by Groco and Apollo Conbraco

Priority mail shipping from the USA to Greece might not be too bad. Send me a PM if you'd like a quote.
Old 01-05-2016, 13:58   #5

Bronze. Never Marelon for me. Been there, done that.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 20:33   #6

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

What about a bronze through hull and a marelon ball valve?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 21:00   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Zboss, a lot of people put ball valves on thru-hull fittings but it's a weak
installation. The thru-hull is unsupported and could break. The threads don't match and there is only a few threads holding the ball valve to the thru-hull. This would be an even weaker installation with a plastic ball valve.

A real seacock with a mounting flange, wether Marlon or Bronze would be much stronger.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:39   #8

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

We got rid of our cheap brass seacocks a couple of years ago for Marelon ones (with the exception of the engine water intake which had to be metal so became DZR). Marelon is not maintenance free as you still need to watch for signs of corrosion on the bolts but as trying to get genuine Bronze ones proved to be almost impossible due to the quantity of cheap freshwater brass around I went with something I could trust not to corrode.

Top Tip: Freshwater brass or domestic plumbing valves and fittings will not have CR embossed in them and will generally have red handles. DZR will have CR and Green handles. Not seen genuine Bronze so can't say what they have.

Sadly due to the inadequacies of the EU Recreational Craft Directive (RCD) stating that underwater fitments should last at least 5 years builders have been cutting costs and fitting the cheaper brass rather than more suitable alternatives. Brass may last 5 years but there have been cases of thru-hulls etc falling apart from de-zincification after a very short time.

Any of the online chandleries should be able to post you a ball valve to any EU country for a few quid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTwilight View Post
I replaced all my bronze seacocks with Marlon 9 years ago and never looked back. Much less maintenance and totally reliable. Just regularly use the lube the recommend.
What is the recommended lubricant? Is it Marelon specific or something generic?

Cheers

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:02   #9

Boat: Kanter Yachts Steel Spray 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikecoin View Post
I need to replace a broken bronze seacock. Should I replace it with bronze (hard if not impossible to find in Greece) or Marelon which is also difficult but may be available?

All advice gratefully received.

Mike
We've been using Marelon for years with no problems- bronze is NOT GOOD on steel boats due to corrosion issues.
TKDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:13   #10

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
We got rid of our cheap brass seacocks a couple of years ago for Marelon ones (with the exception of the engine water intake which had to be metal so became DZR). Marelon is not maintenance free as you still need to watch for signs of corrosion on the bolts but as trying to get genuine Bronze ones proved to be almost impossible due to the quantity of cheap freshwater brass around I went with something I could trust not to corrode.

Top Tip: Freshwater brass or domestic plumbing valves and fittings will not have CR embossed in them and will generally have red handles. DZR will have CR and Green handles. Not seen genuine Bronze so can't say what they have.

Sadly due to the inadequacies of the EU Recreational Craft Directive (RCD) stating that underwater fitments should last at least 5 years builders have been cutting costs and fitting the cheaper brass rather than more suitable alternatives. Brass may last 5 years but there have been cases of thru-hulls etc falling apart from de-zincification after a very short time.

Any of the online chandleries should be able to post you a ball valve to any EU country for a few quid

What is the recommended lubricant? Is it Marelon specific or something generic?

Cheers

Keiron
Superlube does a great job on Marelon. Strip and rinse the parts every two years. Check the O ring for perishing and if it's OK smear it with a little Superlube. Dab a tiny bit of grease on the bearing under the handle.

Assemble and forget for two years except for giving every handle a wiggle every few months.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
What about a bronze through hull and a marelon ball valve?
The opposite would be preferred to me. It's the valve that is often the issue. I replaced a Marelon assy once and the thru hull is tough as nails. I had to cut it out with a hack saw blade piece at a time. Couldnt get it with a cold chisel and hammer.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:21   #12
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

https://youtu.be/l5ajZ3nfzzQ

check his related videos as well
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:22   #13

Boat: Able 50

Perko ball valves are made of nylon inside a bronze casing. Not sure if that's all or some of them. It makes cleaning so much easier and eliminates pitting of the ball.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:32   #14

We always preferred solid bronze for two reasons: Strong, and a good way to detect stray corrosion inducing currents on the boat. Someone mentioned they had brass seacocks. That would be a disaster and should be immediately replaced. A lot of cheap boats have old fashion galvanized gate valves which really should not be on any boat.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:50   #15

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

We've heard and read of vessels having their bronze seacocks blown off by lightening. I have heard this is not an issue with Marlon valves. I don't know if such a rare occurrence should factor into your choice of materials. We have had both. When the Marlon valves stick at sea, they worry the heck out of me. I wouldn't try to force them as I might with a bronze valve.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote