Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 22:42   #16
Registered User
 
j-hood's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Wherever I am.
Boat: 1967 Rawson 30
Posts: 47
Re: Sea Water Foot Pump for Galley Sink

Late to this, I know, but I am looking at a 35' Southern Cross which I will live aboard. My experience on board friend's boats leads me to think that seawater foot pumps are indispensable as water savers. I am currently trying to determine the level of knuckle-busting and stress involved in the installation of both fresh- and seawater pumps. Are the plastic bodies of the Whale pumps durable? Friends' boats all had older metal structures, at least on the pedals.
__________________

__________________
j-hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 00:03   #17
Registered User
 
surfmachine's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. http://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Posts: 674
Images: 9
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Re: Sea Water Foot Pump for Galley Sink

J-hood, they all have alloy arms on the foot pumps, plastic bodies are adequate?
They are wonderful, and solve many problems!
Cheers from Keith.
__________________

__________________
Keith, "But I was born very young and grew up knowing little of the world!" http://surfmachine-surfmachine.blogspot.com.au/
surfmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 00:09   #18
Registered User
 
j-hood's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Wherever I am.
Boat: 1967 Rawson 30
Posts: 47
Re: Sea Water Foot Pump for Galley Sink

Thanks, Keith. Should I be lucky enough to score the gal I'm interested in, I shall surely install them in both galley and head.
__________________
j-hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 00:12   #19
Registered User
 
j-hood's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Wherever I am.
Boat: 1967 Rawson 30
Posts: 47
Re: Sea Water Foot Pump for Galley Sink

Furthermore, nice blog and beautiful pics. Hope to run into you (figuratively speaking) off the coast of Phuket.
__________________
j-hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:47   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hudson Valley N.Y.
Boat: contessa 32
Posts: 826
Re: Sea Water Foot Pump for Galley Sink

Best upgrade I ever did on my current boat. My whale foot pump has proven just as durable as per its reputation. Years back I threw a bucket over the side for my dish washing, but salt water often sloshes out and drips on way down to the galley.Really a primitive yet workable solution for the smallest of craft. I do have a fine hand pump in head from New Zealand that works a trick,but cannot recall manufacturer.

FWIW: For those of you who wish to become hard core salts and need a bucket of seawater while underway, the technique is as follows. Stand well braced along leeward deck facing outboard,forward arm hooked around shrouds is very secure. Aftermost arm holds a SMALL yet very robust bucket(rubber seems best)
with a strong handle tied to a lanyard few feet longer than the distance to the water surface.Now lean out and energetically toss the bucket (opening downward) forward of your position into your wake.Bucket tossed this way will instantly fill as boat sails by it and lanyard goes taut,at this point give a jerk to the line before bucket is totally filled and bucket will arc out of the water and land upright on for side decks or cockpit to the amazement of all onlookers.With practice ,one can catch the bucket as it swings back toward you and slop down the decks in a single motion thereby ridding you pride and joy of vomit,anchor mud,and fish blood to the further admiration of the crew.
A few caveats : One can be pulled over board or dislocate a shoulder if the bucket is too large ,the lanyard is too short and one does net have a few extra coils in the tossing hand.Best to try this first with no way on and progress from there.It might be worth noting that an inverted bucket can trap air and serve as an emergency life preserver while the sneering crew turns the boat around.
__________________
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:10   #21
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 6,385
Re: Sea Water Foot Pump for Galley Sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
FWIW: For those of you who wish to become hard core salts and need a bucket of seawater while underway, the technique is as follows. ...lean out and energetically toss the bucket (opening downward) forward of your position into your wake.Bucket tossed this way will instantly fill ....Best to try this first with no way on and progress from there.
Very good advice. Opening down works a treat, all the time.
__________________
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:12   #22
Moderator
 
carstenb's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Posts: 4,936
Images: 1
Re: Sea Water Foot Pump for Galley Sink

Dare we ask how you know about the upturned bucket as a PFD?




Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
Best upgrade I ever did on my current boat. My whale foot pump has proven just as durable as per its reputation. Years back I threw a bucket over the side for my dish washing, but salt water often sloshes out and drips on way down to the galley.Really a primitive yet workable solution for the smallest of craft. I do have a fine hand pump in head from New Zealand that works a trick,but cannot recall manufacturer.

FWIW: For those of you who wish to become hard core salts and need a bucket of seawater while underway, the technique is as follows. Stand well braced along leeward deck facing outboard,forward arm hooked around shrouds is very secure. Aftermost arm holds a SMALL yet very robust bucket(rubber seems best)
with a strong handle tied to a lanyard few feet longer than the distance to the water surface.Now lean out and energetically toss the bucket (opening downward) forward of your position into your wake.Bucket tossed this way will instantly fill as boat sails by it and lanyard goes taut,at this point give a jerk to the line before bucket is totally filled and bucket will arc out of the water and land upright on for side decks or cockpit to the amazement of all onlookers.With practice ,one can catch the bucket as it swings back toward you and slop down the decks in a single motion thereby ridding you pride and joy of vomit,anchor mud,and fish blood to the further admiration of the crew.
A few caveats : One can be pulled over board or dislocate a shoulder if the bucket is too large ,the lanyard is too short and one does net have a few extra coils in the tossing hand.Best to try this first with no way on and progress from there.It might be worth noting that an inverted bucket can trap air and serve as an emergency life preserver while the sneering crew turns the boat around.
__________________
I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted - Elmore Leonard
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 13:47   #23
Eternal Member
 
wolfenzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Port Ludlow, WA (NW corner of Puget Sound)
Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Posts: 1,496
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Sea Water Foot Pump for Galley Sink

There are two extremes of water usage, (there is another thread about water makers where people are seriously considering watermakers that produce 20-30gph) and then there is useing sea water for as many things as possible.
My rule of thumb on a boat is to conserve all resources as much as possible with "crimping your style"
__________________
"It is better to die living than live dieing" (Tolstoy para-phrased by Jimmy Buffet)
"Those who think they know everything piss off those of us who do"
wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 14:08   #24
Eternal Member
 
wolfenzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Port Ludlow, WA (NW corner of Puget Sound)
Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Posts: 1,496
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Sea Water Foot Pump for Galley Sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmachine View Post
J-hood, they all have alloy arms on the foot pumps, plastic bodies are adequate?
They are wonderful, and solve many problems!
Cheers from Keith.
My boat at one time had a sea water pump installed (using a Y off of the engine cooling hose).....the spigot that came with the unit was aluminum and dissolved from the inside out, the pump body is plastic.
__________________
"It is better to die living than live dieing" (Tolstoy para-phrased by Jimmy Buffet)
"Those who think they know everything piss off those of us who do"
wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 14:31   #25
Registered User
 
svmariane's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Currently in South Pacific. Home Port: Vienna, Austria
Boat: Celestial, Stay'sl-Rigged Sloop, 48 ft
Posts: 1,163
Re: Sea Water Foot Pump for Galley Sink

Add us to the list of those "for" having and using a seawater foot pump in the galley.

We have Whale Gusher Galley MK3 foot-pumps for both salt & sweet water, and use seawater a lot when underway or in clean anchorages.
__________________
"Being offended is not the same thing as being right." Dave Barry.
Note: Offense is always taken, never given.
When life hands you lemons..... add gin & tonic!
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 14:55   #26
Eternal Member
 
wolfenzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Port Ludlow, WA (NW corner of Puget Sound)
Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Posts: 1,496
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Sea Water Foot Pump for Galley Sink

I have two foot pumps on board, my galley sink is at or below the waterline so until I rebuilt the galley it drained into a bucket...someone else that had the same problem had a foot pump set up so to drain the sink he pumped it over board with the foot pump.
I recommend that anyone with a salt water pump have a separate sink for it. (rinsing the salt out of the sink sort of defeats the purpose).
__________________

__________________
"It is better to die living than live dieing" (Tolstoy para-phrased by Jimmy Buffet)
"Those who think they know everything piss off those of us who do"
wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
galley, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:25.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.