Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2019, 09:31   #1

Sea Recovery HP Pump issues

I have justed fired up our Sea Recovery Aquamatic 900-2 and while she is making product, I noticed a pretty loud rattling noise coming from the unit.

Initially thought I left a tool leaning against it, but on closer inspection, I believe it's coming from our HP pump. I now see some oil leaking out the oil cap and the pump is very hot. The unit throws no errors or warnings running automatically, but concerned we may further damage the HP pump.

There no Sea Recovery agents around the Lesser Antilles in the Caribbean and thought I would take a chance and put this out to the CF community to see if there any experienced techs on the board who could offer some input.

Cheers
EvilRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 17:57   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Re: Sea Recovery HP Pump issues

I have a Sea Recovery Watermaker. I have overhauled the HP pump on my system, so I have some knowledge of how they work. I had a bad rattling sound coming from my system. In my case it was a broken ceramic plunger. My pump is a triple cylinder model, as are most Sea Recovery systems. Sea Recovery mostly uses a pump head made by General Pump, and generally use the WM series. The only way to find out what is broken is to take the HP head apart. In my case I coukd not separate the pump from the motor, but was able to work on the HP pump anyway. The pump is a piston type with three cylinders. There are rebuild kits available for the WM series pumps. The rebuild is for the top end of the pump. The lower end, meaning the crank and rods are so robust I can't imagine them failing. There is a special tool kit that makes the job much easier. If you are comfortable with mechanical work, taking the pump apart and replacing the parts is not difficult. BTW, these are very good pumps, and worth overhauling if you have the skill. Start by looking at the HP head and find the label indicating what type of pump you have, then you can think about getting parts. If your pump is a General Pump WM model, you can get parts from any GP dealer, which will be way less expensive than Sea Recovery.

Good luck.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 04:31   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Sea Recovery HP Pump issues

GP Service Locations https://www.generalpump.com/service/service-locations/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, Sea Recovery