Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 08:15   #1

Boat: DEFENDER, PILOTHOUSE, 55 FT, MARIANGIE
Sea recovery compact watermaker problem

Hi, i just repaired the high pressure pump and motor in my sea recovery compact watermaker. when I turn the pressure knob the pump will only seem to pressurize a little bit only when I turn it all the way, and when I start to turn it the water flow on the brine discharge shuts off. I replaced the filters and cleaned the membrane and nothing happened. The system hasnt been used for almost seven months and it had salt water in it all this time. Any sugestions will be appreciated.
heribertorosas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 20:41   #2

Boat: islandpacket
Is the brine water bypass open. You should be able to flush the system and get a good discharge flow, then close the bypass and increase the pressure. Or your membranes are totally clogged. You should pickle your system next time. Did you use this before it was shut down? was it working then?
Old 05-04-2009, 05:44   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Disconnect the output line from your pump at the input side to your membrane vessel. Run the line into a five gallon bucket marked at one gallon intervals. Time how long it takes to make two gallons and check that against how much GPM your pump is supposed to produce by doing the math. If you are getting the correct amount of flow your membrane is clogged. Cleaning a membrane is practically worthless, especially if it sat unpickled for seven months. Leaving a unit in salt water for seven months not only fouls the membranes but corrodes many of the internal parts. In an oxygen deprived area such as the internal components of a watermaker, salt water becomes highly corrosive if left there for long especially to Cat type plunger pumps. When you get your WM working always fresh water flush it after each use and every 5-7 days in between if you are not using it. If you intend to leave it for longer periods un-used store it preferably with Propylene Glycol. Though most WM come with powdered pickling solutions they are more acidic to a membrane and store for half the time the more gentle Propylene Glycol will.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 18:01   #4

Boat: DEFENDER, PILOTHOUSE, 55 FT, MARIANGIE

I guess the membrane is clogged then, the problem was that the high pressure pump motor burned so I got it rewired and the pump repaired as well, It took all this time for the mechanics to finish the job. I will order the new membrane, Thanks a lot Tellie and Badsanta. Take care and happy cruising!!!
heribertorosas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Sea Recovery, watermaker