Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 10:16   #46

Re: Sea Cock Won't Open or Close

Are you asking what the water pressure is outside your hull near the seacock inlet??
If so, it has nothing to do with your boat displacement (22,000lb). It is simply related to water depth. Without getting into specific gravity of various salinities etc., at 33ft the pressure is 1 atmosphere (14.7psi). Thus, if your seacock is 4ft from the surface, the water pressure will be 1.78psi. At 5ft down it will be 2.22psi. This is the pressure of the water trying to enter your boat through the open seacock. For a 1 inch diameter hose inlet, this translates into a total inlet pressure of only 1.4lb for 4ft depth or 1.75lb total for the 5ft depth. No big deal provided you have the right size plug!!!
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:23   #47

and..... as posted earlier.... it makes a heck of a geyser in your boat when open. Probably in the range of a 1" diameter stream maybe 1.5 feet high...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:29   #48

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs View Post
Are you asking what the water pressure is outside your hull near the seacock inlet??
If so, it has nothing to do with your boat displacement (22,000lb). It is simply related to water depth. Without getting into specific gravity of various salinities etc., at 33ft the pressure is 1 atmosphere (14.7psi). Thus, if your seacock is 4ft from the surface, the water pressure will be 1.78psi. At 5ft down it will be 2.22psi. This is the pressure of the water trying to enter your boat through the open seacock. For a 1 inch diameter hose inlet, this translates into a total inlet pressure of only 1.4lb for 4ft depth or 1.75lb total for the 5ft depth. No big deal provided you have the right size plug!!!
This really impresses me when people carry such vast technical knowlege.
Thanks very much.

I was raised on a dairy farm and my career was in agribusiness. I'm full of related information. I never saw the ocean till I was about 30 (about 15 yrs ago).
Anyone need any help with their dairy cows?
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:57   #49

I milked cows for a couple years in high school. Hated getting up so early and dealing with those beasts! We had a few "kickers" in the crowd. Boy... talk about thread drift!!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:50   #50

Sounds like a lot of BS to me!!!
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:36   #51

Boat: Pearson 422

I can smell it from here....
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 14:13   #52

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
This really impresses me when people carry such vast technical knowlege.
Thanks very much.

I was raised on a dairy farm and my career was in agribusiness. I'm full of related information. I never saw the ocean till I was about 30 (about 15 yrs ago).
Anyone need any help with their dairy cows?

Yes, my tank somatic cell count is up a bit, what should I do?? Never mind just drifting a bit. If you know what that means, you might be a redneck.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 14:29   #53

[QUOTE=Matt sachs;1121821]Yes, my tank somatic cell count is up a bit, what should I do?? Never mind just drifting a bit. If you know what that means, you might be a redneck.[/QUOTE
I was a milk tester, I tested and monitered somatic cell counts in the individual cows. The information had helped in culling purposes as well as in breeding decisions etc. You could usually predict a mastitis flare up.
I couldn't help replying to that......sorry.

Well, anyway thanks for the appreciated help today.
I will attempt changing the hose in the next few days when I find a helper.
Old 04-01-2013, 14:34   #54

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

to continut the drift. It was a single quarter in a 60 cow dairy. Its down to 50,000 now.

Now back to the regular scheduled programming.....
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 15:26   #55

Boat: On the hard for now - 2 dinghies

I was going to mention water pressure, but in a slightly different context.

I have seen at least one boat owner simply take off the seacock (again he knew the condition of the through-hull) and simply put a good clear plastic bag over it and using a wire tie lock it down.

The bag held and there was no water leaking out.

He fixed the problem right there and in 10 minutes fixed the problem reversed the process and he was done.

The reason I mention this is that even though it's a lot of water and seems like a gusher, it's under very low pressure and can be temporarily be easily controlled. So even with the water flowing take your time the pumps will clear the bilge on the short term. Do a little Zen meditation and it will be fine.

Fair winds
Watercolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 16:32   #56

since you are in nice warm water... if you take a piece of tarp or sail cloth or whatever and tie tag lines to each corner, you could place it roughly over the through hull and tie it off to the rail. If someone can hold it in place while you pop the hose off inside, the water pressure will then hold it in place, stemming the flow until you finish your work inside.

this works as an emergency plug only if you can get a person in the water to initiate the patch. After its forced into the opened through hull, it won't come away until you finish your valve job.
tregrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 17:00   #57

excellent! yes, I'm in great water, I can count the blades of grass on the seabed. I could always motor to a bright sandy 6' spot to do the job so as to reduce the risk of sinking.
Old 04-01-2013, 17:32   #58
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Hey Endoftheroad if you need a extra body to give you a hand I'm in key west as well, anchored off fleming. I really have nothing to do till april, building a solar water system to kill time. I really, really have nothing to do. Better here than snowy VT where I would have to heat and shovel.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 17:42   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
Hey Endoftheroad if you need a extra body to give you a hand I'm in key west as well, anchored off fleming. I really have nothing to do till april, building a solar water system to kill time. I really, really have nothing to do. Better here than snowy VT where I would have to heat and shovel.
Thanks but I just got done prepping my wife for helping me with the job in the next few days.
Pm me if you need any help around key west. It's my home.
Old 04-01-2013, 17:58   #60

Boat: On the hard for now - 2 dinghies

Rabbit - It is beautiful here this year. Lots of real snow and not bad skiing.
Watercolor is offline   Reply With Quote