Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2017, 13:56   #61

Boat: Cherubini 33
Re: Sailorchic34's new Fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
How do you keep the doors from coming open and spilling the contents when your boat rocks side to side? I viewed the fridge online, there appears to be no mechanical latch to keep the doors shut.
I found a pair of ScotchGuard cabinet locks from Bed Bath and Beyond for $4.99 that keep it firmly closed when heeled, unlock with one hand, and clip back in to lock. Very easy, even when getting pitched and rolled.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...latch/10449961
Rocinante33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 15:05   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante33 View Post
I found a pair of ScotchGuard cabinet locks from Bed Bath and Beyond for $4.99 that keep it firmly closed when heeled, unlock with one hand, and clip back in to lock. Very easy, even when getting pitched and rolled.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...latch/10449961

I have got to try this. Thanks!
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:29   #63

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
OK, after 10 years of daily use my old magic chef fridge was making noise and pulling more amps when running. Being as I'm more then half deaf, the noise thingy was a concern.

So I saved up my dollars and finally purchased it's replacement. A Edgestar 3.1 cf fridge/freeze. Still a 120V fridge. But only 72 watts (verified by me) when running compared to 190 watts for the old one. Old one was 160 watts when new.

I'm hoping to save 20-30 ah a day compared to the old fridge. it is very close to a 12V fridge in watts. At about $1000 less then a 12V fridge, at $214 (shipping included) it fits with my low cost frugal (or is it cheap $500/month) lifestyle. If it lasts another 10 years, I'll call it good.

Plus the new fridge has a separate zero degree freezer compartment. BIG plus. The problem with the small evaporator freezes is food tends to freeze/thaw over time which causes freezer burn after about 8 days.

The new freezer is more then twice the capacity of the old magic chef. I see ice cream in my future this summer

Of course the big test will be running it in the delta with it's 95 degree F days this summer.

You can also see my Atwood RV range, Also $1000 less then a Marine stove. And my magnetic spice jars are in the photo too.

Life is good.
You rock, I've been looking at stoves. I have a Hillerange and it is useless. I can't put anything in the oven that is more than 9" deep. I looked at all the marine stoves and was not impressed. Thanks for the tip on RV looks awesome.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:20   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
You rock, I've been looking at stoves. I have a Hillerange and it is useless. I can't put anything in the oven that is more than 9" deep. I looked at all the marine stoves and was not impressed. Thanks for the tip on RV looks awesome.
The small Atwood RV stove is 14" deep x 15" wide. It's been far better then the old princess marine stove I had in Florida ages ago.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:11   #65

Quote:
The small Atwood RV stove is 14" deep x 15" wide. It's been far better then the old princess marine stove I had in Florida ages ago.
Thanks for the Atwood info. Were you able to get it gimballed or install as a fixed setting. If any other viewers know how to gimball fixed units I'd like to hear what resources you used.
winjamerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:19   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by winjamerk View Post
Thanks for the Atwood info. Were you able to get it gimballed or install as a fixed setting. If any other viewers know how to gimball fixed units I'd like to hear what resources you used.
I used the old gymbal mounts (sheet metal with bolts for pivit) off the old trav'ler RV stove. pop rived to the sides of the atwood with Pivit point about an inch below top of stove. works like a charm. Also moved the old pivit lock (sliding hasp) from the old stove to the new one. Most of the time (at anchor) it's locked in fixed.
Old 24-04-2017, 13:26   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK I have finally have some long term usage load for the Edgestar fridge. It's using roughly 36 ah per 24 hours. Mind you this is still spring with 65-70 degree F cabin temperatures. I expect it to increase a bit with the 90-95 degree F summer cabin temperature.

It's running 19 minute every 1.5 to 1.45 hours as its using 72 watts when running that equates to 24 watts per on-off-on cycle. It's far more energy efficient then the old 120V fridge. So for $216 for the fridge (shipping included) and another $200 for a PSW 1000 watt inverter I have a small fridge that will hold enough food for one person for 3-4 weeks.

Well for me anyway. I don't use froze dinners and package the meats into meal size portions.

Still very very please with the fridge. I also picked up a relogy 30 amp PWM charge controller for $25 off ebay (slight used) Boy that works very well too and the batteries have never been happier.

For the frugal sailor, the Edgestar 3.1 CF unit works very well.
Old 24-04-2017, 15:31   #68

Thanks for the update! That's great efficiency. I never had a 12V fridge that good and had small insulated boxes. Two boats were about 2 cu ft.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 17:30   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The problem with the little fridges is they can look alike but have very different compressors and different dead bands and energy usage. I've been quite pleasantly surprised at how its working out.

Of course it's still cool for the next few weeks. I'll see about posting an update in July when the cabin temps are well into the 90's
Old 24-04-2017, 18:16   #70

Boat: Laguna, windrose 25

you go girl!!
Joel E Felt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 21:55   #71

Quote:
OK I have finally have some long term usage load for the Edgestar fridge. It's using roughly 36 ah per 24 hours. Mind you this is still spring with 65-70 degree F cabin temperatures. I expect it to increase a bit with the 90-95 degree F summer cabin temperature.

It's running 19 minute every 1.5 to 1.45 hours as its using 72 watts when running that equates to 24 watts per on-off-on cycle. It's far more energy efficient then the old 120V fridge. So for $216 for the fridge (shipping included) and another $200 for a PSW 1000 watt inverter I have a small fridge that will hold enough food for one person for 3-4 weeks.

Well for me anyway. I don't use froze dinners and package the meats into meal size portions.

Still very very please with the fridge. I also picked up a relogy 30 amp PWM charge controller for $25 off ebay (slight used) Boy that works very well too and the batteries have never been happier.

For the frugal sailor, the Edgestar 3.1 CF unit works very well.
Where you able to run the numbers for during the summer months? Also, which PSW did you get?

Thanks
japtenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 15:05   #72

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Any numbers?
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail