Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2013, 12:08   #16

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: Sad New ---Marine Air is dead....anyone use a free standing air conditioner?

As soon as I return from a much dreaded trip to the US I plan to install a mini split AC. The hot part stays outside and the cool part stays inside. I'll install quick disconnect fittings so that I can pop the outside part off and stow it down below in a couple of minutes when we want to get underway.
They're about $400.00 around here for an 1100 BTU.
Old 27-06-2013, 16:40   #17

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

But on the other hand, the window-unit type AC's really don't cost that much. Sell the one you have before you cross to another boater. You'll have valuable tips for the new owner and it will be a win-win for everyone. Then just buy a new one when you get back.
That is great advise. Thank you.

Robyn
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 16:45   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
As soon as I return from a much dreaded trip to the US I plan to install a mini split AC. The hot part stays outside and the cool part stays inside. I'll install quick disconnect fittings so that I can pop the outside part off and stow it down below in a couple of minutes when we want to get underway.
They're about $400.00 around here for an 1100 BTU.
I would be really interested in the model you actually get and details of the install. Our freestanding unit vents to the outside via a flexible duct to a snap in panel in the port light. The down side is the duct is not insulated and some there is some heat generated from this.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 27-06-2013, 17:21   #19

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: Sad New ---Marine Air is dead....anyone use a free standing air conditioner?

I'll report back in a couple of months. What I buy may not be available where you are. LG is pretty big here.
Old 27-06-2013, 17:46   #20

I really dont imagine the marine version is much different than the home version other than the housing....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 17:48   #21

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
I'll report back in a couple of months. What I buy may not be available where you are. LG is pretty big here.
I just picked up a free standing unit as described above. It is an LG from Home Depot. It is loud but does the job.

Has anyone found a reasonably clean way to insulate the exhaust hose?
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 18:05   #22

Quote:
Point taken, look forward to hearing from you in a few.
Old 27-06-2013, 18:06   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post

I just picked up a free standing unit as described above. It is an LG from Home Depot. It is loud but does the job.

Has anyone found a reasonably clean way to insulate the exhaust hose?
SC
This is the same one we have. I have the same complaint about the noise. Also curious about insulating the exhaust.
Old 27-06-2013, 19:44   #24

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Go to an air condition company and get an insulated duct(normally used to supply wall grills, that can be slipped over your exhaust vent hose. CHEAP Measure the size of your duct, normally a 4" duct and get a 5" house insulated duct of the required length....easy enough
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 20:30   #25

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We also have 32000 btu's on a 51 ft boat. Most of the time ,even at a dock we only use about 21000 by only cooling the master, and saloon/galley, and pilot house if needed. no sence cooling places we don't sleep in or use much! we have so little other 110 on board besides AC, that a 30 amp service covers our useage at dockside !So we are lucky! At sea our 7.5 genny handles all the power needed for all our 110 equipment. Personaly we look for AC before we even look at anything else on a boat add ! But we live on the gulf coast and need ac 7 months of the year!! And of course we are OLD and like to sleep cool !!