Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2018, 17:17   #1

Boat: Beneteau 40.7
Run refrigerator full time or not?

I use my boat for mostly day sails every one to three weeks. I have made it a habit to shut down the refrigerator and leave it open if I am not going out for over two weeks. I remove everything that is not not bottles of liquid.
Do you think the refrigerator would require less frequent recharging if I let it run continually vs. turning it on for about 36 hours every two weeks?
The unit is a Frigomatic AV35F, about 15 years old. I have had to evacuate and recharge it about every two years recently because it is no longer cooling well enough to keep the drinks cold. After evacuating the system for a while, to make sure it is internally dry, it seems to hold a vacuum well but not overnight. (Might be the setup.) I have changed and checked all sealing gaskets. The boat is on shore power when at the dock. Climate is temperate.
My theory is that if it runs continually the average system coolant pressure will be reduced and therefore any tiny leakage will be less.
Thanks in advance for your comments.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 18:45   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Run refrigerator full time or not?

I don’t know, but my frig is 17 years old and I never have had to recharge it
Old 28-04-2018, 19:18   #3
Marine Service Provider

You should determine if refrigerant leak is faster with compressor running or turned off This will help at some point in finding Leak. On Frigomatic leaks are generally at line connection Orings. If this unit has a keel cooler check for a leak inside boat at hull fitting.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:57   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

When you buy a Frigoboat system , they give you a little bag of doodads . One thing inside that bag is a couple of O rings . These are used in there couplers as a final seal to refrigerant. They know they will fail thats why they give you new ones . They don't tell you that you will loose all your refrigerant when they do, and you will be stuck until you can get it recharged by some one that will probably do it wrong and charge you an arm and a leg to do it . Thats if you happen to be in an area where there is any refrigeration guy even around , But basically its a barbecue day , and inviting friends over to eat all your spoiling food . The seals last about 5 years of full time use .

Sorry for the rant .

Regards John.

www.coldeh.com
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 14:53   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Jim lubes all our O rings with silicon grease ... seems to increase their life and usefulness.

Ann
Old 01-05-2018, 17:21   #6

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

I replaced the o-rings before I recharged the system a while back. I am afraid to lube the o-rings thus allowing some oil / lube into the closed system. Does anyone think the lube is worth the risk?
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 17:32   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhoof View Post
I replaced the o-rings before I recharged the system a while back. I am afraid to lube the o-rings thus allowing some oil / lube into the closed system. Does anyone think the lube is worth the risk?
Suggest lubricate O rings with a suitable light oil then wipe away excess before fitting.
I should add that under no circumstances use any goo, sealant, thread tape etc on ANY refrigeration fittings.

Cheers OzePete
OzePete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator