Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-09-2013, 14:13   #1

Boat: 1974 Cal 29
Rule vs Attwood (bilge pumps)

My old RULE has failed and I am looking to replace it with two new pumps.

I haven't found any recent comparisons of RULE and ATTWOOD pumps, only old reviews of models no longer produced.

Does anyone have experience (good or bad) that they could share which might help with my decision?

The smaller one will be hot-wired to the battery and the larger will be on a switch (automatic, off, on).

Old 16-09-2013, 15:47   #2

Boat: Alberg 30
I like the Johnson pumps for what it's worth. I know it wasn't a listed option but I find them decent quality straightforward to install and as they share the same base easy to replace later.
West marine now carries them rebadged as house brand so parts are easily available and spare motor assemblies easy to keep aboard. I typically use Johnson brand ones not west badged but like to know parts available from any west in a pinch(albeit at a higher price) From what I heard at west they don't like the Attwood ones due to a high return rate.

Old 16-09-2013, 17:22   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Rule vs Attwood (bilge pumps)

We had the Atwood 2000. Water got into it and rusted the whole insides in a year. The water was never above about 1/4 way up the pump, so the water must have entered in through the shaft seal.

I wouldn't touch anything by Rule.

Had a Shurflo that lasted 15yrs, but they don't make that model anymore. Also had a good Jabsco submersible, but they don't make them anymore either.

Frankly, I don't see that much daylight between pumps anymore. They are all made in China and all much less robust now than they used to be.

Rule is the only one that is guaranteed to stop working quickly. All others will hang in there a bit longer, but not like they used to.

Note: I am talking about plastic-cased submersible pumps in the 1500-2500gpm range.

And, having dissed Rule, I have to admit that we have a 1990's era Rule 500 pump installed in the dinghy for the past 9 years and it still works fine even though it has sat out in the snow for 5 New England winters and pumps the dinghy multiple times a day for the past 9 years.

Turns out it is the best bilge pump we ever had, but all our other experiences with Rule products and pumps has been crap.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 17:31   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

All my pumps are Rule 3500s. They don't get much use, though due to dusty bilges.
Old 16-09-2013, 17:35   #5

Boat: Little Harbor 38
Shurflow get very good reviews.
Old 16-09-2013, 17:41   #6

Boat: csy 37

i've had my rule 2000 in for ten years now. works fine. i've got a deep bilge so it takes a lot of rain to fill it. the pump is mounted about six inches above the bottom of the bilge so it doesn't sit in all the crap at the bottom. for getting the water out of the bottom of the bilge i've got a manual whale titan pump.

my rule switch also lasted nearly ten years. just replaced it this summer.
Old 16-09-2013, 20:33   #7

Boat: 1974 Cal 29

Thank you all for the responses. I bought a pair of Johnson bilge pumps off Amazon:

A 2200 GPH with Ultima "float" switch and a 500GPH which I'll run off the RULE float switch for now, and add another Ultima switch later.

I'll mount the 2200's "float" switch 2" above the bottom of the bilge, and the 500's (future) float switch right at the bottom. This will make the big pump only kick on if the water gets 4" deep, or I activate it manually. The 500 will have its switch wired directly to the battery- no way to forget to turn it on.

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, rule

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: