Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2013, 23:52   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Rule-Mate Bilge Pump

Ive installed quite a few of these and have not seen this problem. It sounds like the hose run issue allowing air into the system, especially as you mentioned the problem stops when you raise the hose.

When the bilge pump is operating but no water is being discharged this is typically caused by an air lock. An air lock occurs when air is trapped in the impeller chamber; centrifugal pumps by nature will only move water (not air) and do not have the ability to self-prime. Air can trap in the discharge hose if the installation is over plumbed and angled. A dip or drop in the discharge hose can create an air lock which will prevent the pump moving water but it will keep the motor going.

Since you say it works when you move the hose then I suspect repositioning the discharge hose for a short vertical discharge might do the trick. Install pump below water line to insure sufficient water flow. Other possible problems are the Pump strainer and impeller area can be clogged with debris but yours is new so seems doubtful. Another trick is to make sure the float switch/ sensors are facing aft to that normal slosh won't trigger them unnecessarily. I make a 1/4 inch epoxy wetted wood plate and put the pump and switch on it, and seat that to the bilge as a system to keep it a bit above the bilge. Good luck
YourBOATDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:22   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Ive also experienced the air lock problem described above and that seems likely for a new install.

One fix for this is to remove the hose for a moment...makes it easier for the pump to prime...when water starts to flow then reconnect the hose. Sometimes just shaking the pump can get enough air out and water in for the pump to prime.

Ive also installed many of these pumps...because they are garbage and must be replaced often...the automatic sensing electronics have a high rate of failure. When they fail, usually w in just a season or two seasons, you can by pass them by installing a float switch if you dont have another pump handy. Usually just the electronics fail.

Personally, I will never again purchase another Rule product.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:46   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Just to be clear, Rule makes automatic pumps with three different types of water sensors.
First there are the pumps with built in float switches.
Then there are the pumps that turn themselves on every 2-1/2 minutes and sense for resistance on the impeller.
The third type uses something called "Field Effect" to sense the water.
It would be useful to know what type of pump you're talking about.
Old 01-06-2013, 13:14   #19

Boat: Fantasia 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvennis View Post
I have a keel stepped mast with internal halyards and I live in a rainforest climate where we get in excess of 75 inches of rain each year mainly during a 6 month wet season (and often have strong winds). I would welcome any suggestions as to how I can prevent water from running down the inside of the mast into the bilge -- other than climbing the mast to cover each opening in the mast every time I leave the boat.

Most of the comments have been very helpful.

thank you
rvennis,

You might be able to install a plug in your mast at deck level to block the water and drill a few small holes in the mast to let the water drain out.

I have a deck stepped mast and use a water proof cone to pass electrical/electronic cables through the mast base and four small holes that allow the water to drain.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, pump, rule