Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2018, 05:55   #1

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m
RO watermaker in Port Davey?

Port Davey SW Tasmania has a brackish brown tannin stained water layer over a clear salty layer deeper, has anyone used a RO watermaker there?
Will the plant tannin damage the RO membrane? Will the RO remove the tannin stain? Anyone with first hand knowledge?
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 12:22   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
RO watermaker in Port Davey?

I don’t know about there, but I run mine in the US ICW, which often is brackish and tannin stained to look like coffee.
Just if it’s brackish, watch your output, you don’t want it to exceed rated output or you can damage your membranes, just turn your pressure down to rated output if needed.
Water makers filter down to molecular levels, so it takes the tannin out and only pure clean water comes out.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 15:25   #3

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft
Re: RO watermaker in Port Davey?

I recently used my ceramic 0.2 micron filter to clean some creek water that was tannin stained near the west coast of Tasmania and it blocked up requiring a few cleans before I got enough to drink. So I think your RO filter would suffer as the prefilters may not be fine enough.
I would not hesitate to take the slightly tannin stained water from the waterfall that you can tie alongside of and fill your tanks directly.
I have also used the hose on the wharf that has water from the tank at Claytons.
Old 29-05-2018, 15:35   #4

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post
I recently used my ceramic 0.2 micron filter to clean some creek water that was tannin stained near the west coast of Tasmania and it blocked up requiring a few cleans before I got enough to drink. So I think your RO filter would suffer as the prefilters may not be fine enough.
I would not hesitate to take the slightly tannin stained water from the waterfall that you can tie alongside of and fill your tanks directly.
I have also used the hose on the wharf that has water from the tank at Claytons.
Thanks Wayne, I have used the waterfall water before,and found it totally acceptable, also plenty of rain in the SW to collect.
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 19:48   #5

Boat: Lightwave 45 catamaran

We collected rain water in Port Davey and Macquarie Harbour. At sea we filled our tanks with Ro water. I was more nervous about the amount of fresh water on the surface in Port Davey and up the Gordon river than the Tannin . Take an emergency supply of beer incase you get into trouble.
xbillaroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker