Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2018, 15:34   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Reviving an Old Spectra Watermaker

I have an older Spectra watermaker. The pumps seem to work but it's been sitting for a decade.

What are the steps I need to take to recommission this thing?

Is there a good way to test it out to see what I have now and what is or isn't working?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 16:04   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Reviving an Old Spectra Watermaker

Give jt a holler
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: Tellie
He is the resident spectra master.
Old 24-09-2018, 16:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Give jt a holler
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: Tellie
He is the resident spectra master.
Thank you. He's in South Florida. I'm closer to Maine. I wasn't looking to hire anyone just yet. I'm trying to learn how these watermakers work, how to test them, how to diagnose them and what readings I should have on my pressure and salinity meter thing.

I'm just new with watermakers.
Old 24-09-2018, 17:10   #4

Here you go!
They were always helpful when I had questions for the 12 plus years we owned our Catalina 380 system.

https://www.spectrawatermakers.com/us/us
Bruce Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 17:42   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Reviving an Old Spectra Watermaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Thank you. He's in South Florida. I'm closer to Maine. I wasn't looking to hire anyone just yet. I'm trying to learn how these watermakers work, how to test them, how to diagnose them and what readings I should have on my pressure and salinity meter thing.

I’m awfully sure that he will talk you though whatever you need to do, without being hired to do so. He doesn’t have an agenda, and won’t have you spending money you don’t need to.
I’d imagine that maybe some components may need some sort of servicing having sat that long, and if you don’t it may cause damage, but that’s just a guess.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 17:43   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

just give him a call or pm he will be happy to talk you thru any issues over the phone he is a great resource for us all
Old 24-09-2018, 17:48   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I’m awfully sure that he will talk you though whatever you need to do, without being hired to do so. He doesn’t have an agenda, and won’t have you spending money you don’t need to.
I’d imagine that maybe some components may need some sort of servicing having sat that long, and if you don’t it may cause damage, but that’s just a guess.
I sent him a pm letting him know assistance is needed. He should be along shortly.
Old 24-09-2018, 18:24   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Hi Choto, I'd be more than happy to help you out. All I need to know is the model and hopefully the year if your watermaker. We can discuss it here so everyone who might be interested can benefit as well.

Thanks for the PM Newhaul, hope all is well with you and yours.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 18:50   #9

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Tellie is a gift to CF.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 18:58   #10

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Tellie is a gift to CF.
[emoji106]
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 19:18   #11
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Thanks senormechanico and sailjumanji.

I just finished one of those not so great Mondays. You have no idea how much this means before I finally end my day. Thanks again.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 09:01   #12

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

The spectra is remarkably durable. At the price, they should be. I have had mine for 19 years and most of that time it was sitting idle - but with the storage solution inside, and renewed every two years or so.

I'm sure the Spectra techs will help you with firing up and running your Spectra. My suggestions below are only offered as a preview.

When you are running any fresh water or solutions, do not use normal tap water unless you have run it though a carbon filter, or use distilled water.

You may find some leaks in the system. Before bothering to chemically clean the system or check for fresh water output, follow directions specific to your model for starting it up but using just fresh non-chlorinated water at the intake. First make sure the low pressure pump(s) are running. Then check it all carefully for leaks. I bought a Clark pump seal kit and solved some leaks in the Clark oump and I bought a new low-pressure pump to replace one of the originals that had been corroded due to a small leak I had not noticed. Salt water not good for electric motors!

After you fix any leaks you can run a cleaning cycle. Spectra has two different chemical solutions, one for cleaning and one for storage. Get them from most chandleries. Go online to get the directions for how to run a cleaning cycle.

If the cleaning cycle shows no major amount of discoloration in the solution, and after flushing thoroughly with fresh water, you can finally try it with salt water input - but only if you are in clean ocean water. If not you can mix up your own salt water equivalent in a bucket. Direct the brine output back into the same bucket for re-cycling. Run it 10 minutes then check for taste and smell. You should get a TDS meter and use that as well. You want less than 700PPM but Spectra usually runs less than 300PPM.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 09:23   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Thanks senormechanico and sailjumanji.
I just finished one of those not so great Mondays. You have no idea how much this means before I finally end my day. Thanks again.
+3

Hope your Tuesday is better.

The Spectra Ventura on our previous boat made over 70,000 litres and the only service other than filters was a new low pressure pump after about 5 years of use. When we sold the boat the water-maker was still going strong.

Our new boat does not have a water-maker yet but we have designed a space for the slightly larger Cape Horn model, which I think from Forum posts may be Tellie’s favourite.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 10:24   #14

Ok, found the manuals!

I'm following the procedure to start up a pickled system since the 20 and 5 micron filters were fresh and clear. Ok, the filters weren't fresh and clear because none were installed but the water in the filter housing was perfect. It seems to be the brine because it burned a small cut I have when I opened it and spilled some.

I'm getting ready to install the 20 micron filter right now and it seems to be too long!

The system is a Spectra 380C with the extra membrane and housing to make extra water.

The prefilter says "Spectra 20 Micron Nominal Filter" on it. Took it out of the plastic and started to screw it in place and the filter seems a couple inches too long.

Any wisdom on this?

I think I have a perfectly pickled watermaker here.
Old 25-09-2018, 10:46   #15
cruiser

If you decide to sell your 380c, I’d be interested in buying it.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker