Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2018, 20:47   #1

Boat: Bristol 53.3, 1988
Reroute shower sump drain

Hello all!

We've got a Bristol 53 with 2 showers, each of which has a little sump which runs to a pump which has a loooong run all the way to the transom where *both* shower drains tee into one of the bilge discharges, above the waterline. Each shower drain has an anti-siphon loop right before said tee.

What I'd like to do is get rid of all that excess hose, and have each drain hose go thru its anti-siphon loop closer to the corresponding head, and then each discharge out through what would be dedicated below-the-waterline thru-hulls.

Forward, there is *already* an unused thru-hull that is closed off with a lovely Spartan seacock (freshly serviced) and a sturdy plug. It's only a few feet away from where the end of the anti-siphon loop would be.

Aft, there's a presently used but soon-to-be unused (inlet for DC refrigeration system which is going to be removed) thru-hull (also with a Spartan), about 1 foot away from the aft shower drain pump.

I'd love to get rid of the total of about 40' of hose running around, but what I'm not sure of is if this idea is a good one. I know that the teeing into the bilge discharge is a bad idea and needs fixing. Will the system I describe work? Basically, shower sump to pump to anti-siphon loop to below-waterline thru-hull, for each of the showers.

I could certainly add check valves in the run if that seems useful.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
jkimbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 06:44   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Reroute shower sump drain

Hello fellow Bristol owner . Welcome to the Forum

We did the same thing removing the shower sumps and rerouting them . The one forward just like yours and the one aft we teed it into the cockpit scupper drain hose. We replaced both sumps with the Whale sumps and Whale pumps .

System works perfectly and quietly .

I have made a few videos on our projects .

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCC...4BzzTGJM3YJSTw

Also we have completely redone our refrigeration system and a total insulation rebuild and removal of the engine drive system and stainless liners and built new fiberglass liners. Our total amp hours per 24 hrs have never exceeded 35ahs combined, thats in two boxes with the deep freeze always running at 0 degrees Fahrenheit.

I am presently building a hard Bimini top out of fiberglass with a very nice teak headliner and hand rail on the edge . This will give us space for 6 flexible solar panels that will not be intrusive to the vessels lines and make it look like a solar farm . I will be uploading a video shortly on that build .

Regards John.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 07:06   #3

Location: East coast USA; temperature controlled, north in summer and south in winter
Boat: 53' Skookum pilothouse cutter

jkimbu

we have the system you plan. Ours is on a 53' with forward and aft sumps with each having a dedicated pump, vented loop and close below waterline thru hull. The boat was built this way. Works well. The sumps are open with the forward one accepting the galley sink and draining water that comes from the mast.

rob
NRbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 08:49   #4

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

It is often possible to T into a sink drain for the shower sump discharge. But I would not T into a bilge pump line.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 10:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEh Marine View Post
Also we have completely redone our refrigeration system and a total insulation rebuild and removal of the engine drive system and stainless liners and built new fiberglass liners. Our total amp hours per 24 hrs have never exceeded 35ahs combined, thats in two boxes with the deep freeze always running at 0 degrees Fahrenheit.

I am presently building a hard Bimini top out of fiberglass with a very nice teak headliner and hand rail on the edge . This will give us space for 6 flexible solar panels that will not be intrusive to the vessels lines and make it look like a solar farm . I will be uploading a video shortly on that build .

Regards John.
John, thanks for the info. I'd love to chat about the reefer and about your bimini top, let me know if you want to take it offline. We've always had a hankering for the hard dodger look on the HR's but don't have HR$$.
Old 13-02-2018, 10:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
It is often possible to T into a sink drain for the shower sump discharge. But I would not T into a bilge pump line.
Roger that - it's the way the boat came and definitely needs fixing!
Old 13-02-2018, 10:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRbar View Post
jkimbu

we have the system you plan. Ours is on a 53' with forward and aft sumps with each having a dedicated pump, vented loop and close below waterline thru hull. The boat was built this way. Works well. The sumps are open with the forward one accepting the galley sink and draining water that comes from the mast.

rob
Rob, thanks - so these sumps... do you mean they are the shower sumps (which in our case are small and right at the bottom of the shower pan) or do you mean the sunken bilge sumps (one near the base of the mast and one under the engine)? Our galley sink goes either directly overboard (teed into one of the deck drains, and with a just below waterline thru hull) or into a graywater sump (under the refrigerator/glassed in hard, *there's* a dumb idea!) which presumably can be pumped out. The choice is made with a Y valve at the lowest point of what would be the trap in a traditional sink drain.

- Jeff
Old 13-02-2018, 10:35   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkimbu View Post
John, thanks for the info. I'd love to chat about the reefer and about your bimini top, let me know if you want to take it offline. We've always had a hankering for the hard dodger look on the HR's but don't have HR$$.
Sure , you can contact me any time , all my contact information is on my website.

If you are in Maryland we could meet and share a painkiller, we will be at the spring Annapolis boat show . If your boats close by we would love to have a look at her. We love these Bristols .

Regards John
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 15:34   #9

Location: East coast USA; temperature controlled, north in summer and south in winter
Boat: 53' Skookum pilothouse cutter

We have three main bilge compartments, forward, engine and aft. All three have open sunken sumps with three pumps, vented loops and thru hulls. The forward and aft will overflow to engine bilge if their respective pumps fail.
NRbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 20:55   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRbar View Post
We have three main bilge compartments, forward, engine and aft. All three have open sunken sumps with three pumps, vented loops and thru hulls. The forward and aft will overflow to engine bilge if their respective pumps fail.
Ahh... we have basically one big compartment with two open sunken sumps (forward and under the engine). Each of which has a pump which runs through a vented loop to a thru-hull at the transom.

Tags
route, shower, shower sump