Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2010, 15:58   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 30', Freyja
Replacing Manual Foot Pump in Galley

I need to replace the Whale Gusher manual foot pump in the galley of my boat. Anyone have experience doing this on an Islander 30 or similar set up?
Lin Marelick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 16:44   #2

You might want to check this:
Installing a Galley Footpump
Target9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 16:53   #3

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Lin, I replaced one recently (different type of yacht) and found that although the replacement pump was another Whale Gusher, and looked the same, its mounting holes were positioned slightly differently. Regards, Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 04:42   #4

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Just remember to close the sea cock. Everything went pretty well in my case. My unit is mounted close to cabinets and having enough clearance to wiggle it in and out was probably the toughest thing to do.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 05:04   #5

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
Merely reseating mine was enough of a hassle. I still have gouges on my arms from unknown things under the sink. Good luck with it.
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 08:17   #6

Yea, the sea cock is closed but it looks like I have to widen the access hole on the setee to get the pump out. It also looks like it's held in place by a block that is screwed through the front and on the side of the cabinet at the bottom close to the floor. That was my plan: drill out the teak hole covers, take out the screws, pull the pump through the widened hole in the setee top, attach the new pump to the block and then work backwards. Does that sound right to you?
Old 20-05-2010, 12:02   #7

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
If I understand your description, sounds good. Do you have a picture?

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 13:12   #8

I took some photos and will write up a little description of the process. I think it might be useful for an Islander 30 owner.
Old 25-05-2010, 17:10   #9

New galley foot pump in Islander 30

We replaced the Whale Gusher foot pump in my Islander Bahama 30 last week and there are a couple things that you should be mindful of if you plan to replace yours. Before doing anything we emptied the water tank">fresh water tank. After close scrutiny, it was apparent that the access hole on the port setee was too small and needed to be enlarged in order to remove the old pump and install the new one. Very carefully we increased the size of the access hole by about one inch wide. We would have made it larger but the fresh water holding tank and water lines were just too close and we didn't want to cut into them. As it was, we had to draw a pattern on the setee wood to be sure we didn't get too close to the water line. Once the access hole was enlarged we went about removing the sink drain hose followed by removing the two screws on the back side of the old foot pump that attached it to a wood mounting block. On the front and side of the sink cabinet, we removed the teak plugs that covered the screws that held the block of wood in place and then removed the screws, and voila we were able to remove the old gusher pump and wood block. (Be sure to disconnect the intake and outflow lines to the pump.) The mounting block needed a little cleaning up and securing because it was made out of plywood and there were places that the laminate was breaking down. We used epoxy and wood screws to fix the block and attached the new pump to the block. The holes in the block used to secure the old pump did not line up with the screw holes on the new pump so we drilled new holes. It was down hill from there. We reattached the block and new pump, reattached the intake and outflow hoses, and put the drain pipe back together. I'm trying to download photos but having a time of it. I'll post them when I can get them off my iPhone.
Old 30-05-2010, 19:19   #10

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
I was about to start a thread with this question (and perhaps should) but related: does anyone know of a manual or procedure PDF to do a rebuild on the Whale Gusher Galley MkIII foot pump? Mine is leaking, and I bought the AK0553 kit... but it just doesn't look like it's going to be obvious. I'd love any advice, and will start a new thread if that makes more sense... don't mean to hijack this one, but it sounds well resolved (good job, folks!).

Thanks,
Steve
Old 31-05-2010, 03:28   #11

I've replaced the gusher 2 x in 25 years and they've got two models (not sure of the numbers) if I recalled correctly which look alike but are not. YUCK. I've had leak problems and they are a pain to re install as it's in a very tight location and getting the hoses on and clamped requires you be a mini Houdini.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 05:06   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Here’s the exploded drawing of the Whale Gusher Galley Mk3
Exploded

Spares Kit ➥ Whale Gusher Galley Spares Kit - MK III
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gusher_Galley_3_and_2b.jpg
Views:	1493
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	16585  
Attached Images

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 10:27   #13

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Thanks!
Old 31-05-2010, 10:45   #14

Boat: Cape Dory 28, hull 317, Kittiwake
Finished replacing my 1982 Whale Galley foot pump yesterday in Cape Dory 28 - found out that the pump was mounted a steel bracket, using the 4 foot attachment points was no problem, holes were identical... Peace and Fair Winds, Bill
KittiwakeCD28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foot pump