Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2018, 00:02   #1

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'
Replacing head to through hull hose

Greetings All~

Anyone care to share any tips on replacing hoses on a head and in particular the main (3") hose from the head?
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 01:14   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Replacing head to through hull hose

Use high quantity hoses.. I'm not aware of 3" hoses used with conventional heads.. Perhaps more information?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 05:31   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by duefocena View Post
Greetings All~

Anyone care to share any tips on replacing hoses on a head and in particular the main (3") hose from the head?
In my experience, I have found (click on) Raritan Sani/Flex hose to be the easiest to work with and the most effective at preventing odor permeation. It is not inexpensive, but, IMHO, worth the price.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 07:25   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by duefocena View Post
Greetings All~
There isn't a marine toilet made that uses a 3" discharge hose...they all use either a 1.5" or, if it's a Jabsco, it could be 1". So unless a PO decided that he had a better way to plumb a toilet than the specs call for, I strongly suspect that 3" is the OUTER diameter of that hose.

You always use the INNER diameter for hose sizes. That's because the hose has go onto the right size fitting and all fittings are sized according to their outer diameter.

--Peggie
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 07:57   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
In my experience, I have found (click on) Raritan Sani/Flex hose to be the easiest to work with and the most effective at preventing odor permeation. It is not inexpensive, but, IMHO, worth the price.

FWIW...

And yet, mine has permeated in a little over two years I think.
Go figure.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 08:18   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Upps you mentioned head to through hull. Isn't there a valve... somewehere?
correctly fitted ON the through hull?
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 09:08   #7

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
Use high quantity hoses.
Amen brother! This is one of those times when it never pays to cut corners. Use the best sanitation hose available.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 09:30   #8

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

The OP didn't mention where he/she was having difficulties (assuming that's why he/she posted the question) but one place where I've had issues is removing a hose that's been clamped to a fitting for a long period of time. If that's the case, I can offer no suggestions other to cut the hose off - I've tried everything from large water pump pliers to a heat gun but often those hoses just refuse to come off.

Now when I'm installing a hose onto a fitting, I apply a little silicon grease to the fitting - the hose goes on easier, it seals better and removal isn't usually a struggle.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 10:07   #9

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Use PVC pipe if possible, cheap and no oder, Sealand hose is the best to my knowledge, spendy but works. A combintion of PVC and Sealand was used on my last install, the PVC saved hundreds of dollars for the customer.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 11:01   #10
Marine Service Provider

The idea that you have to spend a ton of money on head hoses, or any other non, or low pressure hoses for a boat is nonsense.

There are many excellent hoses made for heavy industrial, military and agricultural use which you can drive a tracked vehicle over without damage and which are compatible with any marine fitting or appliance. This includes head fill and discharge, potable water fill, water tank and holding tank vent, bilge pump discharge, etc.

I have used a particularly good one in various size for over thirty years with no problems. In fact I have never had to replace any in all that time. I would mention the name and manufacture but if he saw this post and got the idea that yachties will pay through the nose without question he'll jack up his prices for such small quantities.

Of course for potable water distribution, raw water to pump, fuel fill etc. use the approved types.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 11:21   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
And yet, mine has permeated in a little over two years I think.
Go figure.
If so perhaps you have not been pumping your toilet sufficiently to clear the lines, sometimes a problem for folks that want to minimize the loading of their holding tanks. Our hoses are many years old without difficulties. Thorough pumping and routine maintenance of the hoses--8 oz of acid to a gallon of water pumped through every month or two--keeps things cleared out and odor free (at least thus far).
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 15-08-2018, 11:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
There isn't a marine toilet made that uses a 3" discharge hose...they all use either a 1.5" or, if it's a Jabsco, it could be 1". So unless a PO decided that he had a better way to plumb a toilet than the specs call for, I strongly suspect that 3" is the OUTER diameter of that hose.

You always use the INNER diameter for hose sizes. That's because the hose has go onto the right size fitting and all fittings are sized according to their outer diameter.

--Peggie
Peg--

I suspect he was referring to the circumference of the hose rather than diameter (which would make it about 1" diameter). I have seen this from time to time, often with folks from the UK. (A local Brit in our marina insisted his warps were 2" on a 30', 8 ton, yacht when seeking replacements. They were, about, when measured around the circumference, but only about 5/8" in diameter.)

FWIW...
Old 15-08-2018, 11:36   #13

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

As others have said, use good hoses. The suggestion to look outside the marine industry is also a good one. Many industries build items to higher standards and are more affordable.

A technical suggestion for you. A hair dryer and a pot of hot water can make the job MUCH MUCH easier. A few minutes of blasting the hair dryer through the hose makes it much easier to bend. Dunking the end of the hose in hot water (let it sit for 30 seconds) makes it very easy to slip over the connections.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 14:28   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
And yet, mine has permeated in a little over two years I think. Go figure.
Raritan warranties it against odor permeation for 5 years...file a claim. And btw, yours is the first claim that Raritan SaniFlex had permeated that I've ever seen in the 10 years it's been on the market. None (including yours apparently) have ever been reported to Raritan.

-Peggie
Old 15-08-2018, 14:33   #15
Marine Service Provider

A technical suggestion for you. A hair dryer and a pot of hot water can make the job MUCH MUCH easier. A few minutes of blasting the hair dryer through the hose makes it much easier to bend. Dunking the end of the hose in hot water (let it sit for 30 seconds) makes it very easy to slip over the connections.

Good advice, but made even easier if you lube both the inside of the hose and the fitting with dishwashing liquid...or better yet K-Y surgical jelly, which is a lot slicker. K-Y is water soluble so dries out, does not leave the connection permanently slippery.

Warming hoses also makes them easier to remove.

--Peggie

Tags
head, hull