Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2007, 14:59   #1

Boat: De Kleer Fraser 30
Replacing Head Hoses

Roughly, how long should it take to remove the existing head hoses and replace with new ones (assuming all materials to hand and no unexpected surprises)?

Thank you.

Patrick
psteele235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 15:09   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
It depends. I did it on my CS36 and it took me nearly a week as the hoses were behind panels I had to remove and I had a real hard time pulling the hoses through even with tons of lubrication. On the other hand I had to remove the head hose on my 393 and was pleasantly surprised that it only took about two hours. It all depends on the runs and how long the hoses have been on. On the CS36 I had to cut them off the seacocks. Oh yes, one other little hitch on the CS36 - the hose clamp screw on the anti siphon valve was right against the side of the boat - obviously installed before the deck was put on the hull!! What a job!! On the other hand the Beneteau doesn't even have anti siphon valves on the head hoses.
Old 09-10-2007, 16:17   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Roughly, how long should it take to remove the existing head hoses and replace with new ones (assuming all materials to hand and no unexpected surprises)?
How many feet and where do they go? My last boat had a LOT of hose given it had multiple Y valves and various places it went that were not all easy to get to. My current boat has 1/5 the hose. Bending and having to heat the hose to get it fitted can take a lot of time that is after you remove all the old hose. If it's hot outside the stink is worse too.

No matter how long it takes it is a very long time. Vasco has an estimate of a week and I think he is pretty close. I think my current boat would be maybe 1/3 the time given it's easy to get at and not going bad.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 16:40   #4

Boat: 44 footer
You will want to buy a Snapon Hose hook for this. They get stuck on the fittings that you don't have enough room to find any leverage... and slicing through a hose on a plastic barb isn't the best solution. Hose hook breaks it loose! (One of the few times to be glad someone used crappy vinyl, with no wire...)

A set of nut drivers... and a ratcheting screw driver are very nice things to have. Flex joints with electrical tape, or the spring type extensions are also good tools... if they used hose clamps with a hex head.

When it all goes back together, pay attention to where the screw head ends up facing... when its tight. Seems like folks set it where they want it to be, and crank it down only to have the last turn put it in a position that requires a contortionist to get off! Sometimes a cut off wheel on a dremel is worth while.

(The last one I did was a full electric raritan, installed with a hose so short it wouldn't lift off both the mounting studs. That sucked.)
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 18:01   #5

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Heat Gun

Replaced a holding tank and related hoses two weeks ago. Using a heat gun will make your job 100 times easier. Hoses slip on (and off) that they are butter. Only took one hour max. for a total of six hoses.

Heat gun can be purchased at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Have Fun!!!!!!
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:15   #6

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Be sure to replace the old hose with "Sanitation rated" hose. I replaced mine last year and it made a huge difference. No more stink. I used Vetus Sanitation hose (not the plastic stuff) because it is very flexable 2 layer with wire. Hard to get but sure made it easy. Yup. The builders do put the decks on last! rlisle is spot on. Heat gun is THE trick. Get er done.. its worth the hassel.

Will

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:23   #7

Boat: Cheoy Lee Ludders 36
My wife and I replaced all the head hoses on a 36 ft sailboat (single head). The system includes a holding tank (forward beneath the V-berth) and deck pumpout for coastal cruising, overboard discharge for places without pumpout requirements, a pump to empty the tank overboard when offshore and beyond the 3 mile limit, and a single vent line. We had never done boat plumbing before, but had studied information on the web and in books fairly extensively before starting the project.

All in all it took about 6 hours for 2 people.

The hose you use can make considerable difference in how quickly and easily the job goes. But that has already been covered in another thread.

Its not a terribly unpleasant job. And doing it makes you very comfortable with the ins and outs of the head system on your vessel.

John
JohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 15:17   #8

Boat: Lagoon 37
WAY TOO LONG
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote