Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2013, 18:42   #16

Boat: csy 37
Re: Replacing 30 year old Crosby system

i also had the problem of ventilating the adler barbour in the former freezer compartment, and solved it an an unconventional and not-for-everybody way.

i discarded the insulated lid (well, i just stored it in my garage) and constructed a louvered cover to replace it. it's simply a piece of starboard with three rectangular holes cut in it and plastic louvers (west marine) screwed on over the holes. a piece of window screen is also attached to keep things from falling into the former freezer compartment. my only problem is that it's located right next to the stove and i have visions of a pot of boiling water spilling over and into it.

see pictures attached. first one is of fridge/freezer on left and adler barbour intalled on right. second picture shows louvered cover over the adler barbour.

you may also have noticed the computer muffin fan i installed over the adler barbour. i was afraid i wouldn't have enough airflow, but it's pretty much turned out to be unnecessary. it only runs when the fridge runs, or i can turn it off so it doesn't run at all. on the other hand, refrigeration guru richard kollman says that the computer module should be kept cool and the fan does blow air directly down on it so....

i originally planned to leave the insulated lid in place over the adler barbour, cut a large round hole in the cabinetry, and install a louvered fan in the hole to provide air flow. but i couldn't bring myself to cut a hole in the cabinetry.

not too obvious is the outflow of air from the adler barbour. there is a hose that goes through a hole leading to the port lazarette / engine compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0553.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	65965   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0551.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	444.5 KB
ID:	65966  

onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote