Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2011, 06:03   #1

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Replace Sink Drains

I need to re-plumb my sink drains. They are currently plumbed similiar to how double sink house drains are done. Scandvik drains are the same, with slip joint couplings. I need to find couplings that would thread to the bottom of the baskets that would adapt to hose barbs so it is a more secure set up. I recently was on a Pacific Seacraft 44 that is done that way, but the couplings didn't look like any material I was familiar with. It was a blue plastic type of material, but I am concerned about using domestic plumbing fittings. Forespar has complete drains, but they don't look large enough, and their website isn't that great. WM isn't much help.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 06:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: replace sink drains

Am going through this now. Old drains the basket went straight to a 3/4" ID hose barb but could not find an identical to replace it. Found new SS drains at Home Depot that fit but they have a large, male thread bottom.

After much tinkering I found a set up that worked fairly simply. Get the standard kitchen drain PVC connector that screws onto the threads of the drain basket and has a long, straight drain tube. For some strange plumbing reason the only thing that will fit these drain tubes are lock nut fittings. that slide up the drain tube and connect then to other PVC stuff. I have not been able to find any type of pipe, hose or fitting that will connect exactly to the sink drain basket and go straight to a hose barb.

So I found a drain lock nut fitting that the other end was to a standard PVC pipe size, a female socket to fit a 2" ID pipe. That now allows you to go to any of the standard PVC adapters. My next fitting was a step down adapter, one end male 2" to go into the previous adapter the other end a female pipe thread. Then in a different aisle of the store (I for the life of me don't understand why but all the local stores separate these from the standard PVC fittings) I got a nylon male pipe thread with the hose barb on the other end.

This is the best I could come up with after 4 trips to Lowes and Home Depot and a medium size box full of a very large assortment of various size fittings and adapters in PVC, nylon and brass.

Is this what you were looking for?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 06:39   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

For my sink scuppers I have heavy duty engine hose meant for below the waterline use that is connected up to standard chrome plated brass sink hardware. The joint where the hose slips over the the brass is well above the waterline and is held with two hose clamps.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 06:41   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

By the way, obviously I am not concerned with using standard household type PVC. This is not in a high pressure or critical area and I see a lot of very experienced boaters using PVC in similar areas.
Old 21-05-2011, 07:19   #5

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I avoid using products from HD or Lowes, quite often their products are manufactured to their price point. I was hoping to find a better product. Using a brass tail piece, which is what I have now, with slip joints, can be prone to electolysis. The thickness of the drain pieces are much thicker than what is used now. i have an 1 1/4", or 1 1/2" drain hose, and all the connections are at or below water line. I was hoping someone had found a source of plumbing fittings made from some plastic type material, similiar to marelon, of some sort of reinforced material.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 07:53   #6
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i used stainless household sink drains into PVC above water line into 1.5" hose to seacock. works like a charm.
Old 21-05-2011, 10:43   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
I avoid using products from HD or Lowes, quite often their products are manufactured to their price point. I was hoping to find a better product. Using a brass tail piece, which is what I have now, with slip joints, can be prone to electolysis. The thickness of the drain pieces are much thicker than what is used now. i have an 1 1/4", or 1 1/2" drain hose, and all the connections are at or below water line. I was hoping someone had found a source of plumbing fittings made from some plastic type material, similiar to marelon, of some sort of reinforced material.
Agree if you're talking about brass fittings instead of bronze for valves, through hulls, etc sure, but pretty much PVC is PVC. Never heard of any fancy marine grade PVC.

If you're worried about the strength of PVC connectors take one home and hit it with a big hammer to see how hard it is to break one. You can easily stand on them without a problem. Way more force than would ever be experienced by a sink drain.