Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2011, 07:48   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Removing Hoses...need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBW View Post
Thought about plumbing in "T's" to facilitate winterizing, but the Admiral and I decided that the best course of action is to start moving each fall to a latitude where it is not necessary.
When I bought my 10-year old boat it had minor drips everywhere. Most would only show up during hard sailing, so they tiresome to find. The PO winterized by yanking hoses and disconecting fittings, and the wear had taken it's toll. After a year of chasing leaks and replacing what was worn the leaks went away, and prevent their return, I installed a few tee's and valves. Winterizing is now an easy 15-minutes process requiring only the turning of a few valves, and all the dripps are gone. Yanking hoses is generally just bad design.

Can't argue against moving a little south, though Fall on the Chesapeake offers the best sailing and cruising of the year and I hate hot weather. Better wind, no bugs, and a heated cabin is cozy at night.
Old 24-10-2011, 08:27   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigormortis View Post
A sharp exacto type knife, big screwdriver and lots of profanity. Even if you have decent access hoses can be reluctant to give up.
Slit the hose over the barb attachment and lever it off the barb. Of course you need sufficient hose excess for this to work elegantly. Otherwise you must add to the list above, another length of hose.
I agree. This is absolutely the best way if not the only way for a quick and DNA evidence free method of removing hoses off the barb. When I run into a "length" issue I replace or add a "left-right" coupling/nipple (Google it)(2 pipe pliers and you can undo the fitting without twisting hoses or fighting the fittings and are available in sizes up to 2"). The downside, they're black pipe (good enough for gas/propane and better than galvanized for corrosion (ours are good after 3 years as they're checked each season). I've changed out most of the tough lines now and are little problem and the left/rights allow a quick fitting to be attached to add the antifreeze.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 08:39   #18

Heat often works to soften hose. Applying it is another matter.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 13:53   #19

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Removing Hoses . . . Need Help

This is a great tool for removing hoses. I run it around the edge of the pipe and pry a little till the hose is loose then I am able to pull the hose off. OTC Tools & Equipment 4521 Hose Removal Tool I bought a different brand and have no connection to any manufacture.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 14:20   #20

Boat: Bollard Steel 40ft - Lady Kara
You put a bit of apple or carrot under their noses and they will follow you anywhere. Don't need heat guns.
Oh sorry. That was for horses not hoses.
Coachbolt.
Coachbolt61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 19:08   #21
Marine Service Provider

Oh sorry. That was for horses not hoses.

Also works for jackasses.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 05:33   #22

Boat: Pearson P-35

This site is such a good resource.
I had this exact problem this weekend with the winterization of my raw water system and I hope to try these solutions later this week.
The idea to add a T to help with future winterizations also occured to me so it was good to see that it is not a crazy idea.
Thanks to all the contributors to this >10 year old thread!