Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2015, 18:35   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
'Regurgitating' Jabsco Head

I recently installed the ~$65 repair kit into my Jabsco manual head, due to wastewater backing up into the unit.

Worked great for a few days, now every week or so, I go thru the same problem for a couple of days, then it works OK.

Offshore, so holding tank is bypassed. Flushes easily, no back pressure to speak of.

Any thoughts? Other than a composting head, which is becoming more of a possibility as the scent in the boat is less than appealing.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Skuzzlebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 18:41   #2

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.
Re: 'Regurgitating' Jabsco Head

To me, that sounds like a joker valve problem.
Might be the "new" rebuild kit valve wasn't so great?

Good luck!
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 19:09   #3

The other possibility is that the holding tank vent is plugged.
123jashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 19:12   #4

Boat: Raven 26

Joker Valve problem by the sounds of it. Did kit have a replacement one?
SthnJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 19:29   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123jashe View Post
The other possibility is that the holding tank vent is plugged.
"Offshore, so holding tank is bypassed."
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 19:57   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Joker valve would be my first guess
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 20:04   #7

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Check the vented loop, not just that the duckbill vent is clear, but that the whole thing isn't clogged up with calcium and what nots.
Old 24-11-2015, 00:57   #8

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

If you are flushing directly overboard, then I would just recommend that you flush long enough for all the smelly stuff to get to the ocean. I would recommend you do this every time just to keep the discharge hose empty of nasty stuff. A clean discharge hose is a happy hose.

Your head has a valve of some type to select between "flush" and "dry", right? After completing the flush, put the valve in the "dry" position. That should help prevent water from filling the bowl.

If this works, then I agree with the majority of the folks here that you should look at the joker valve.

Not knowing your plumbing layout, I am trying to think what other explanations there are. If you flush a long time to clear the discharge hose, and you still get smelly water backfilling the bowl, then it has to be coming from the holding tank. Is there any possibility that your Y valve is not fully in the "overboard" position? Could you have a gravity drain from the holding tank back to the head through a Y valve that is either leaking by or not fully in the correct position?

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 04:32   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuzzlebutt View Post
I recently installed the ~$65 repair kit into my Jabsco manual head, due to wastewater backing up into the unit.
Worked great for a few days, now every week or so, I go thru the same problem for a couple of days, then it works OK.

Offshore, so holding tank is bypassed. Flushes easily, no back pressure to speak of.

Any thoughts? Other than a composting head, which is becoming more of a possibility as the scent in the boat is less than appealing.

Any suggestions appreciated.
If you have back pressure only when flushing into the tank a blocked tank vent has to be the problem The most common location for a vent line blockage are the event throug The most common location for a vent line blockage are the event thruhull and the other and the other end of the vent line-- that end of the hose and vent fitting on the tank.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 05:54   #10

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

When is the last time you replaced all hoses?

I agree it's probably the vent and accumulation.

After rebuilding the toilet every other year I replaced the Jabsco toilet on sale for the price of two rebuilds. While it's a drop in replacement, examination of the new Jabsco with the 25 year old model revealed a number of improvements.

I also replaced all hoses after 20 years, something I should have done 10 years earlier.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 08:56   #11

Boat: Catalina 30

Thanks to all of you for the help. I'm tending toward the joker (no joke) as there is no back pressure, and the toilet flushes easiily. I do flush extra water thru at the end, so fortunately there are no return 'blobs'.

Will also clean up the vents -- they likely haven't seen dayllight in 30 years. Probably is time for a complelte hose replacement. And the J-Valve -- it has a broken handle, and very well might be leaking. Better to get the whole 'crappy' job done at once!

Also replacing the mascerator after the holding tank in order to be able to put that back into service, as I'll be going into the Florida Keys soon.

Regards,
Charlie
Skuzzlebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 13:05   #12

Boat: Creekmore 34

Sounds like you already know the answer.
Simply Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:19   #13

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38

we once had a similar problem (although the reasons may be totally different): we pumped into the tank and when off shore ran the macerator - or so i thought; the duckbill valves in the macerator pump were no good so it wasn't pumping out. so we'd fill up the tank pretty quickly (flushing abundantly, counting on being able to evacuate the tank easily, so having lots of liquid was supposed to help keep hoses cleaner).

long story short: full tank would back up, especially with boat heeling. looked like nothing was in the tank (no gauge, and most of what was in there was water, so it appeared transparent). ended up changing the vent hose, other hoses, and head. finally got to the duckbills in the pump, and that should have been the first $25 spent.

anton
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, jabsco