Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2018, 19:33   #1

Refrigeration unit replacement - Price vs Performance

Hi there,

I removed a 25-yr old Easy Kold holding plate system that did not perform anymore and am looking for a replacement. The box has a spill-over design (2.2 cf freezer and 3.4 cf fridge). I estimate I have about 2-2.5" of insulation (mostly foam boards, some sprayed foam) on the sides and 3" in on the top. Both fridge and freezer are top-opening. I know I should replace the insulation but unfortunately won't get to that before installing the new system. The upcoming plan is for 1-2 yrs of cruising in tropical waters with 2 adults and 2 young children onboard.

I've done some research and read many posts on this forum and I'm now leaning towards evaporator plates as the boat is equipped with solar panels/wind gen that should keep up with energy demands. When I compare prices of units on the market, the difference can be quite large. I'm in Canada and could get a NovaKool LT211 (the 3 plate design with a BD50 compressor) for ~ CA$ 1150. A ColdEh Marine system, accounting for shipping/duties/taxes would end up costing me ~ CA$ 4000. From what I've read, I'm sure this is a great refrigeration unit, but I'd love some input on whether the performance justifies paying the extra bucks! NovaKool has been around for a while and their systems seem to be reliable and simpler in design.

Thanks!
BluJu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 22:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Refrigeration unit replacement - Price vs Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluJu View Post
Hi there,

I removed a 25-yr old Easy Kold holding plate system that did not perform anymore and am looking for a replacement. The box has a spill-over design (2.2 cf freezer and 3.4 cf fridge). I estimate I have about 2-2.5" of insulation (mostly foam boards, some sprayed foam) on the sides and 3" in on the top. Both fridge and freezer are top-opening. I know I should replace the insulation but unfortunately won't get to that before installing the new system. The upcoming plan is for 1-2 yrs of cruising in tropical waters with 2 adults and 2 young children onboard.

I've done some research and read many posts on this forum and I'm now leaning towards evaporator plates as the boat is equipped with solar panels/wind gen that should keep up with energy demands. When I compare prices of units on the market, the difference can be quite large. I'm in Canada and could get a NovaKool LT211 (the 3 plate design with a BD50 compressor) for ~ CA$ 1150. A ColdEh Marine system, accounting for shipping/duties/taxes would end up costing me ~ CA$ 4000. From what I've read, I'm sure this is a great refrigeration unit, but I'd love some input on whether the performance justifies paying the extra bucks! NovaKool has been around for a while and their systems seem to be reliable and simpler in design.

Thanks!
where are you located? You shouldn't have any duties to pay for coldeh system. John is in Ontario. Shoot him a pm if he doesn't show up here and respond to the thread soon .

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ne-186687.html
Old 03-01-2018, 04:42   #3

Good to know, thanks. I saw the price in US $ on their webpage and assumed they were located in the US. I'm in Nova Scotia. Duties excluded, still looking at minimum CA$ 3600 for the ColdEh Marine system so the question remains!
BluJu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:32   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Hi Bluju , welcome to the forum .

Yes we are in Canada, I was actually born in Halifax , and yes we are more expensive. I designed this system to be as bullet proof as I could and yet be the most energy efficient system on the market . Don't misunderstand me , the Nova Kool system is a good "cap tube" system , but we could not even buy the parts for our system for 1100$

Our system will not suffer the limitations that captube systems are inflicted with,
- constant cycling due to evaporator temperature controlled compressor
- loss of efficiency as ambient temperatures rise.
- the need for water colling .
- fragile and corroding aluminum evaporator plates
- need for electronic speed controls to adapt for changing ambient temperatures.
- inherent captube blockages .

These are just a few reasons , we also offer support during installation or box construction and planning via phone text or email almost 24/7 , I occasionally sleep .

Our systems are easily serviced any where in the world by any basic HVAC guy , or you , due to the two sight glasses and high and low access ports.

We are also a totally custom manufacturer , we build the system to fit your box .

Our copper plates can be smaller due to there higher thermal conductivity . More room for your stores. And they can not be damaged be a stray sharp object or beer can being launched inside your box by a rouge wave .

Installing a marine refrigeration system is a large project , something you don't want to do twice. We strive to build them to last the lifetime of the boat, maybe longer.

We are constantly testing all aspects of marine refrigeration and are always trying to improve our system and service with relevant information and support to our customers.

Lets let NovaKool chime in as well on this thread.

Don't want this to sound like marketing hype , but we are sailors ourselves, we may cross paths in the Caribbean one day , lets share a cold one .

Lots of stuff in our blog. https://www.coldeh.com/#the-coldeh-blog

Regards John
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:03   #5

Boat: Hans Christian 43

Just an opinion...
Nova Kool LT unit doesn't require water cooling....
Have not been problematic for me. Easy to install...

And $ for $ you could replace it 3+ times for the Cold-Eh

Jim
Rowglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:46   #6
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I would put replacing/beefing up the insulation pretty high up the priority list either way.

Will make a **big** difference to overall energy consumption.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:22   #7
Marine Service Provider

BluJu, I have followed the different pleasure boat refrigeration designs for over twenty five years. I would like to know why your E Z Kold machine needed to be replaced. The E Z Kold design with the exception of their water cooled option failures was a one of the leading efficient systems and almost comparable to Technautics Cool Blue machine with holding plates. E Z Kold’s water cooling condensers I believe is what caused them to fail. Did you ever use the water cooling on your unit?

The Nova Kold is one of the top performing basic efficient systems. If you can take advantage of their mutable evaporator plates in a small spillover box you will be satisfied with a Nova Kold BD 50 unit in the tropics. Solar energy storage without holdover plates is less effective than wind generators because of daily energy hours available.

Basic less expensive uncomplicated refrigeration is simple to maintain anywhere in the world as long as you avoid unnecessary unproductive gadgets. Unfortunately there is no way anyone can prove what configuration of components are best for your refrigeration needs. SO KEEP IT SIMPLE..
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:38   #8

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic

Curious that SeaFrost isn't mentioned. Replaced our Grunert cold plate system with SeaFrost 12v unit. Works like a charm, easy to install and the team over there will custom build the plate(s) and the lines to make your install job easy peasy. We've been very satisfied. Water cooling is optional.
Nightcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:00   #9
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Ozefridge is also well regarded, based in Australia.

Does SeaFrost do evaporator or holding plate designs?

Does anyone do both?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:01   #10

Attached is a little table I put together a year ago when comparing ice box conversion refrigeration units.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Noname.png
Views:	480
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	161494  
ayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:13   #11
Marine Service Provider

Refrigeration unit replacement - Price vs Performance

Sea Frost use a CPV or constant pressure valve to control refrigerant flow . All other manufacturers use a capillary tube to control refrigerant flow other then myself and the Technautics Cool Blue . We use a TXV or TEV same thing , thermostatic expansion valve .

Just to add . We use both a BD35 and or a BD50 depending on application .

Regards John
Old 03-01-2018, 11:29   #12
Marine Service Provider

Wasting money by adding gadgets to a well designed basic ice box conversion refrigeration unit is not going to change the heat absorbing energy value of each Btu produced by same type compressor. Expensive gadgets added to a basic system only compromise a greater risk of in service reliability. Another problem with the expensive add on sales gimmicks is technical assistance and parts are not available in most cruising ports. In some single refrigerated box applications where there is a surplus of electrical power generated it is worth the cost of eutectic holding plates instead of standard evaporators. Standard refrigerant control using capillary tubes on evaporators are very efficient but expansion valves are recommended on large holding plate units.
There are many excellent basic type icebox conversion units available some are much more costly than others. Adler Barbour was one of the best basic and least expensive systems until they added a extra non essential electrical printed circuit board.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:04   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

What I don't get is why the tvx systems are so much more expensive than others by over a grand on average.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:47   #14
Marine Service Provider

newhaul answer, Refrigerant receiver tank $24 TXV $37 OEM price and cost of labor and material to install. When deviating from a standard add on change orders are very expensive.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:59   #15
Marine Service Provider

We also use special order over sized condensers , twin, top of the line Noctua fans . Stand alone line sets , or not attached to the plate . Makes installation easier . Also each system has to be run and set up for its intended use , 48 hrs usually does it . Not to mention our plates are all 100% copper , then nickel plated .

Regards John

Tags
men, price, refrigeration