Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-07-2012, 22:50   #16

Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann
Question: I drained off some Freon refrigerant the flashing stopped as well as the noise but still no bubbles. Also when I push in the low side fill valve (shrader?) I hear no hissing. Any ideas?

Yes, After sorting through several thousand emails and forum posts for my new forum the most expensive and extended boat refrigeration outages are caused by someone tampering with refrigerant. I just posted on my Forum sections on Too Much and Not Enough Refrigerant. Only one out of twenty so called service technicians know what they are doing on these small Danfoss compressor systems.

Depressing low pressure fill valve with compressor running is like shooting yourself in the foot as pain of no refrigeration may last throughout the cruising season. When someone says you need a new compressor 999 times they are wrong now the gun went off again and shot the other foot if compressor is replaced..

If you are positive compressor runs continuously problem of poor cooling is not electrical. On a Cool Blue a wide range of refrigerant volume is possible and still maintain good performance because of refrigerant receiver tank’s extra storage capacity. With a warm holding plate’s way oversized Thermo Expansion Valve (TEV) wide open to maximum flow large bubbles will be present in sight glass. When plate solution cools TEV will start reducing its orifice size and begin to reduce refrigerant flow. As refrigerant flow slows sight glass liquid will be more condensed with fewer and fewer bubbles. If compressor runs long enough plate solution will freeze hard like a rock and excessive liquid refrigerant will back up into receiver tank. It there is too much for receiver to hold excessive refrigerant will back up into condenser reducing systems overall performance. By tapping on froze plate with a large coin you can tell if plate is completely frozen. Now when condenser’s cooling medium’s air is warmest and plate is frozen will sight glass be completely clear. If condenser cooling air is cooler then small bubbles in glass will still indicate a correct charge.

There is a big difference in refrigerant charge volume between a TEV and a Capillary tube flow control device system that all other small refrigerators have. A Cool Blue unit can tolerate a variance of 3 to 5 ounces of refrigerant while ounce change plus or minus will affect a Capillary tube system’s performance.
Excellent post with lots of good info!

Richard what is a good field method for verifying or recharging these small units? Short of evacuating the unit and pulling a vacuum then recharging with a know quantity.

Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: