Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 05:21   #1

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Refrigeration Results

A while back I posted a thread on refrigeration wondering if those low cost units now available at places like Sams were of any use on a boat. I have a large trawler and space and battery power are not really restricted, and as I love to eat and cook I wanted lots of storage.
The general consensus was that despite the advertised frugality of the power use of these units, what mattered was the thickness of the insulation, so that most felt that they were totally unsuited for boats.
I presently have two top loading 7 cu ft freezers and one small 3.2 cu ft front loading counter top refrigerator. One of the freezers I use as a large refrigerator by not letting it get too cold. I have thermometers in each unit to get some idea what's up and sort of juggle their power supply. I run my generator about two hours a day and and use a 1000 watt inverter when needed and I must say it's all working out quite well. My batteries never drop below 12.5 v.
What I really like is that the freezers cost $197 each and the refrigerator $137, and I have a total of !7.2 cu ft of storage.
These units have their condensers on the outside skin so they can't be tightly built in and they are boxy and ugly, so you probably would not want one on your 32' sailboat, but they work for me.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:31   #2

Boat: Bluewater 5800, Novatec 52
My bluewater uses standard household appliances. The refrigerator is a 14cf GE with a 3cf freezer with ice maker. There is also a wine fridge the size of a bar fridge. All works fine, but freezer space is at a premium at times.

So, I am looking for a 14cf all fridge for the galley and a bar size freezer, maybe 6 cf to replace the wine cooler.

regular household appliances seem to work fine for me. What is on board are the originals and are now 8 years old.

I also added a bar fridge on the upper deck last year and anchored it to the deck, one of those 169$ items and so far it is holding up well.
RaySea Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigeration