Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-07-2017, 17:37   #1

Boat: Moody M46 46
Refrigeration and Freezing

I have a Iso-Therm SP system with a Danfoss 50F compressor. The condenser is the SP type, which is has a tubing wrapped in a coil inside a thru-hull. The motion of the boat causes the seawater in the thru-hull to transfer the heat from the condenser tubing.

I have two boxes side-by-side for refrigeration in the galley--one is a top loader, the freezer, and the other a front loading refrigerator. Up to now, they system has been adequate: the freezer freezes things solid and the refrigerator hovers between 38-42F.

My problem: the freezer still keeps things frozen, but the refrigerator is in the upper 50's. As near as I can tell, I do not have a spill-over system whereby there is an opening between the freezer and the refrigerator for the colder air to circulate from the freezer to the refrigerator. Is it possible for one compressor to have two evaporators with a Y-valve in between? How does one compressor with (as far as I know) one evaporator do two boxes that are not connected by an opening to transfer the cold air?

Some might suspect low refrigerant, but on adding some, the compressor runs hot, as in real hot.

Old 16-07-2017, 18:57   #2

Re: Refrigeration and Freezing

As long as the condensor is big enough, that compressor can handle two evaporators.

At least Technautics' CoolBlue can, doesn't need water cooling either, much easier to maintain out in the boonies, great ongoing support from Rich as well.

Old 16-07-2017, 19:36   #3

Refrigeration - Evaporator vs. Holding Plate
Old 17-07-2017, 04:25   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Do you know the normal temperature in your freezer side? That would be a good reference point to start from . If that temperature has risen then the temperature in your fridge side will rise as well.
If so you may not be getting proper condensing from your sink drain condenser . For proper condenser performance you need to have water flow over the condenser and the condenser coils must be clean . The placement of the condenser in the drain make it very susceptible to fowling from grease build up over time . Take a good look at it and make sure that has not happened .

Regards John

Tags
refrigeration

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: