Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-10-2016, 04:25   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Re: Refitting a Spectra Ventura watermaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
That's too bad. Because Spectra still has a life time warranty on their Clark pumps to the original owner. So if you did have a problem it would have been covered.

Halden Marine Services Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Ok thanks Tellie, I will reconsider Spectra. When I saw the 850 bucks figure it upset me quite a bit to be honest. a 100% price increase can only be described as predatory and I certainly do not appreciate such practices. Without your continued help and assistance on this forum I reckon less people would consider Spectra under such circumstances. Thanks for that.
Best regards,
Erik

Old 13-10-2016, 11:55   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
Ok thanks Tellie, I will reconsider Spectra. When I saw the 850 bucks figure it upset me quite a bit to be honest. a 100% price increase can only be described as predatory and I certainly do not appreciate such practices. Without your continued help and assistance on this forum I reckon less people would consider Spectra under such circumstances. Thanks for that.
Best regards,
Erik
Thanks for listening. To be honest it took me aback as well when I first heard it. But there are good reasons they increased the price on a total re-build. But here's the the interesting thing about this. I've fixed hundreds if not thousands of Clark pumps over the years and I've seen maybe two that needed a true full rebuild. Usually it is only one or two parts that need replacing to bring the pump back to 100%. Most of the parts are re-usable and will outlast the system anyway. I would always recommend that a customer contact me about any pump issue. Chances are extremely good that a quick conversation and a part or two shipped and the problem will be solved. If a pump has to be shipped for work normally it is going to be far more cost effective to send it to me so I can analyze the issue first then recommend the best strategy to fix it. These system are engineered so that the customer can "Easily" do the majority of the repairs themselves at sea, in far flung places with basically two wrenches and two Allen key wrench's. This did not come by on accident. This took years and untold R&D monies to bring it to this point with the understanding that our customers will be in those places when they need help. This is not an off the shelf commercial plunger pump meant for dozens of different applications. This is a purpose built pump that makes sense for the long distance cruiser.

www.HaldenMarineService.com
Tellie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 05:49   #18
nwn

Boat: Grand Soleil 52

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I will now once more check out the o-rings in the high pressure vessels, and I will make a complete description of the system. If it does fix the problem, the problem must be in the Clark pump, and I will definitely call Tellie as he has so generously suggested.

Tags
refit, water, watermaker

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: