Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2013, 14:55   #1

Boat: 40'
redo waste system

A cracked holding tank gives us the opportunity to make some changes. I am searching for an earlier thread with a post from Peg Hall that described the best layout to have a Y valve to divert from toilet to either holding tank or thru hull and to have a pump after the tank using the same thru hull. I know the thread's here somewhere but I can't seem to get back to it. Does it make sense to have a shut off after the tank before the pump? Mostly coastal US cruising with access to pump out means that we won't use this very often.

Also we want to T the head intake and sink drain to the same thru hull. The current plumbing routes the sink drain into a sump along with the shower.
ChasD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 15:01   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: redo waste system

I humbly suggest considering a composting system to get rid of all those stinky hoses, tanks, and valves. But, if that is not what you want to do I suggest plumbing the toilet direct to the holding tank, which can then be evacuated be either of two routes: most often through a deck fitting, and secondly through a pump and overboard when offshore. Keep the through hull handle padlocked closed and you are all set for CG and other inspections. I also think ideally you avoid having a Y valve--instead have two evacuation hoses connected to the tank--one for the deck pumpout and one for the onboard pumpout. Y valves are problematic.
Old 17-05-2013, 04:41   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Posts by PegHall
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...archid=5060839

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 11:29   #4

Boat: 40'

Thanks but can't open link.
ChasD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 13:17   #5

I agree with Kettlewell.

Composting is the first choice (we did it about 5yrs ago).

Second choice would be a much simpler system. than y-valves and return lines. One line to the tank and then two outputs from the tank (1 for pump out & 1 for overboard the overboard should have a simple valve to close and lock for the coasties)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 15:16   #6

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasD View Post
A cracked holding tank gives us the opportunity to make some changes. I am searching for an earlier thread with a post from Peg Hall that described the best layout to have a Y valve to divert from toilet to either holding tank or thru hull and to have a pump after the tank using the same thru hull. I know the thread's here somewhere but I can't seem to get back to it. Does it make sense to have a shut off after the tank before the pump? Mostly coastal US cruising with access to pump out means that we won't use this very often.

Also we want to T the head intake and sink drain to the same thru hull. The current plumbing routes the sink drain into a sump along with the shower.
Consider buying Peggy Hall's bock on marine sanitation systems.. amazon.com is one vendor.

I don't think you can T the head intake and the sink drain to the same thru hull. Well, you can but I don't think it would work.
Old 17-05-2013, 22:36   #7
Marine Service Provider

I don't think you can T the head intake and the sink drain to the same thru hull. Well, you can but I don't think it would work

It can be done and works quite well...and there are good reasons to do it... In fact, some builders even plumb head intake and head sink drain to use the same thru-hull...Tartan is one that did. It's simple to do...UNLESS the head and sink are on opposite sides of the keel. That won't work.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 22:40   #8

Ya. It's a good idea. Then when you leave the boat you close the seacocks, pour some freshwater and vinegar into the basin, pump the head until the vinegar is throughout the system. When you return it smells almost like a rose.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote