Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2018, 15:24   #16

Boat: Tartan 37
Re: Recommendations on septic Y-valve?

How do you lock the handle in the center position with the Groco. That's the first thing that the coasties check, before they drop in the dye pack. Also maybe confusing to verify the valve lineup. I used that valve, smaller size to flush the holding tank with saltwater or go to the anchor washdown. More that once have gotten it in the wrong position. The valve is great in the 45psig saltwater system. I have SW everywhere: galley sink, cockpit (fish cleaning, showers and firefighting, let's hope not), holding tank, and foredeck.

Crazy PS testing valves to a value that the items weren't design for, or a pressure they'll never see. Maybe 15-20psig max. I guess the bronze ball valve won.

On bronze fittings use the very thick blue Teflon tape, it's sold for gas valves. Works great on bronze fittings, from the hull all the way to the end.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 15:31   #17

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
How do you lock the handle in the center position with the Groco. That's the first thing that the coasties check, before they drop in the dye pack. Also maybe confusing to verify the valve lineup. I used that valve, smaller size to flush the holding tank with saltwater or go to the anchor washdown. More that once have gotten it in the wrong position. The valve is great in the 45psig saltwater system. I have SW everywhere: galley sink, cockpit (fish cleaning, showers and firefighting, let's hope not), holding tank, and foredeck.

Crazy PS testing valves to a value that the items weren't design for, or a pressure they'll never see. Maybe 15-20psig max. I guess the bronze ball valve won.
I do not see a way to lock it in the center (off) position. I plan on using a cable tie to keep the lever pointing to the holding tank. When I was still working I saw lock-out boxes used for ball valves, do not remember if they are made for 3-way valves.

Edit. Found one.

https://www.bradyid.com/en-us/produc...atid=wbn_50556
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 15:40   #18

Lock box may work for both valves. From the top the three-way and standard ball valves look the same and handle in the same position for Shut. It's not a positive position with a stop or click, so little harder to lock. The coasties will hit you without the lock.
Old 26-03-2018, 15:53   #19

Quote:
Lock box may work for both valves. From the top the three-way and standard ball valves look the same and handle in the same position for Shut. It's not a positive position with a stop or click, so little harder to lock. The coasties will hit you without the lock.
Even if you have a cable-tie holding the lever in the "holding tank" position?
Old 26-03-2018, 16:10   #20

From the USCG web site:

"No discharge zone.
While operating a vessel in an EPA designated no discharge zone, flow-through devices are only permitted if adequately secured to prevent discharges of all treated and untreated sewage. For example, closing the seacock and padlocking, using a non-releasable wire tie, or removing the seacock handle are considered to be sufficient in most cases. For short voyages, locking the door to the head with a padlock or a door handle key lock is another acceptable method. For vessels that routinely operate in no discharge zones a Type III MSD is recommended. For more information see 33 CFR 159.7 and 40 CFR Part 140."
Old 26-03-2018, 16:17   #21

Deluxe68 info is good. The only boarding we had he tried to move the valve, it didn't move. I used a heavy duty cable tie thru a hole meant for a padlock and was satisfactory. Then he dropped a dye pack in the head, pumps a ton and looks over the side. Worst case pull the handle. I always pump to the tank, the only time we pump directly over is when the maceration pumps falls and it will. Even when sailing offshore, we are fishing during the day and like to control the discharge.
Old 27-03-2018, 15:58   #22

Quote:

On bronze fittings use the very thick blue Teflon tape, it's sold for gas valves. Works great on bronze fittings, from the hull all the way to the end.
Before I ordered the Groco 3-way valve I asked them (Groco) about sealing the threads and lining up the 45 degree hose adapter. Here is their answer:

"Typically thread paste is better for sealing the threads and thread tape
reinforces the seal and can be used for positioning the fitting correctly.
A standard practice used is to thoroughly coat the thread paste on the
female threads inside the valve/seacock and then wrap the pipe fitting with
thread tape. The thicker the thread tape determines where the fitting will
start to bind while threading it into place causing the stop point to vary.
The thread paste that is used quite frequently is the Hurcules Real-Tuff
PTFE Paste Thread Sealant, this link below will take you to a website giving
you more information about this product."

Tags
men