Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2014, 07:31   #31
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Re-purpose the holding tank for water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
The whole point is it's the impression of being icky with no basis in fact.

Try this: Would you eat a restauant knowing that someone with VD used the plate and silverware the just put in front of you? I can all but guarantee if you go out to eat at all, it's happened to you.

If you point it out to someone just before eating, a lot of people would hesitate before digging in, even thought the have done it on a regular basis for years.

We aren't talking about flushing the tank with fresh water a couple times and calling it good. The tank would be emptied, scrubbed, bleached, all fittings and hoses replaced...there just isn't a whole lot that will survive that and the stray icky creature that might is no longer being fed it's prefered diet and will quickly die of starvation. From a factual basis, there isn't a problem to speak of.
I agree. The icky factor is the real problem but not the reality. Same thing that turns a lot of people off of composting heads. Being in the watermaking business I see a lot of fresh water tanks. I use a scope many times to show the most meticulous of sailors what it really looks like inside their fresh water tanks. You'd be amazed what most of us are drinking that doesn't have any effect that the body can't take care of. Though, I might not mention this conversion to guests, I agree that it can be successfully done.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:01   #32

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

Just put a bladder in the tank and replace any plumbing that will touch the water. I found this in a 5 second Google search.
Collapsible Water Bladder Tanks - Turtlepac
Old 11-08-2014, 08:04   #33

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

A bladder will work great until it springs a leak...if you go that route I would still sterilize the holding tank.

The membrane that will grow between the bladder and the tank will be far nastier, and if a hole is poked or rubbed into the bladder (this is a boat after all), that would by far be worse than an imperfectly sterilized tank.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank, water