Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-08-2016, 19:51   #1

Raritan Toilets.

It has been decided that our old leaky pump model toilet has to go,despite the fact of it never having failed in its duty over 15 or more years.An electric model is the go apparently although to me the sound of that handle being vigorously pumped has been on occasion a blessed relief considering what has emanated from that room in the previous ten minutes.Anyway looking through the adds etc I noticed the Raritan electric type is two to three times the price of the competition .This being an area I am reluctant to skimp on could anyone help convince me of the sense of paying that much more?I am aware that you only get what you pay for but???Thanks Dave.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 11-08-2016, 20:04   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Raritan Toilets.

I think you need to be a little more specific. Raritan currently makes at least three different types of electric toilets and "the competition" doesn't tell us much about what you're comparing it to.

I can tell you that Raritan has a reputation for reliable marine toilets.
Old 11-08-2016, 21:08   #3

Point taken HopCar.Tmc $329.Ocean Tech superior $470.Jabs co$478.Tmc luxury$500.Sealand orbit master flush $949.Raritan$2159.I don't mind paying what ever but at the moment I'm falling between two stools and looking at the orbitTa Dave.Nz $by the way.
Old 11-08-2016, 21:18   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5 View Post
Point taken HopCar.Tmc $329.Ocean Tech superior $470.Jabs co$478.Tmc luxury$500.Sealand orbit master flush $949.Raritan$2159.I don't mind paying what ever but at the moment I'm falling between two stools and looking at the orbitTa Dave.Nz $by the way.
Have looked the online stores for Raritan pricing, such as Defender? They list the electric Raritan for a lot less then 2100, see link:
Marine Fresh & Raw Water Heads
Old 11-08-2016, 22:06   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't know where you're shopping but you can get a Raritan Marine Elegance raw water flush for about $660. This is a really realiable and quiet toilet. If my old Groco K ever dies, I'll buy a Marine Elegance.
Raritan Marine Elegance Raw Water Flush

The basic Jabsco electric toilet sells for about $385. It's a little noisy but not a bad toilet for the money.
Jabsco 12 Volt Toilet - 37010-0090

Depending what your old toilet was, you might be able to save some money by re-using your old bowl and installing an electric conversion kit like the Raritan Sea Era Conversion kit or a Jabsco conversion kit.
Jabsco Electric Toilet Conversion 12v 37010-0092
Raritan Sea Era Conversion Kit - 16LI012
Old 12-08-2016, 00:30   #6

Thanks Paul and HopCar,.I will check those out.The trouble with being in NZ is its easy to buy things anywhere ,but getting the things here in one peice ,and without getting turned over by customs is pretty daunting .Plus of course no real guarantee .The mounting on the bowl is cracked so the add on electrics is a no go.I saw a rather nice bucket arrangement with a nice lid, but I don't see her indoors agreeing to that anytime soon.The Raritan model you quote is $2100 in NZ dollars so where there's muck there's money😀Mind you it won't be a big volume seller,Ta Dave
Old 12-08-2016, 06:58   #7
Marine Service Provider

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Dave... I don't think HopCar and Paul had caught on that you're in New ZeaLand when they quoted you the prices here in the U.S. Shipping + the rate of exchange can make a huge difference in what you pay!

However, there MAY be a way to make buying it in the US a lot more affordable:

Do you travel to the US or have any friends that do so regularly on business. I know several people in various parts of the world who do...they buy from US retailers and have it shipped to wherever their friends are staying here, or have their friends buy it while here, and bring it back as checked baggage. It doesn't do anything about the rate of exchange (currently $138NZD - $1USD), but it gets rid of those exorbitant international shipping and customs brokerage fees that can make your price 2-3 x higher than here.

If you can make that work, Raritan toilets are definitely superior to anything else on the market...the SeaEra is their "basic" electric model and HopCar (Hopkin Carter Marine) will give you an excellent price. If you can't, the Dometic/SeaLand Orbit MasterFlush would be your best choice...far better quality than a Jabsco. Ocean Tech and TMC are the bottom of the barrel.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:03   #8

"I'm falling between two stools"

Snicker.
Old 13-08-2016, 12:51   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Peggie is right, I didn't know you were in NZ. The thing for you to do is scrounge up a good toilet bowl and I can mail you a Sea Era conversion kit. I've done this several times in the past and it saved the NZ folks some money. The exchange rate may be different now but I'll be glad to quote you.

Since you're dealing with your sanitation system, now would be a good time to read Peggie's book. You can down load it from Amazon.
Old 14-08-2016, 00:10   #10

Boat: Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

Nice to know for me as well. Living in Mozambique I rely on South Africa for most of my general needs but if one looks for something that is not high volume they don't have it.

Sounds strange but having a Leopard cat built in South Africa it's still sometimes easier to get for example even the rudder bushes from France than the factory.

International shipping from some regions is also a mystery. In the last month For example ( I always ship to my parents address in South Africa) I bought 2 items

1 x Milwaulkee 28v side drill to use as a winch aid.
Ordered from USA
Drill cost $528.55
Cost including shipping $788.55
Method shipped : USPS
Delivery date from shipping tracker til delivery) 4 June - 23 June so 19 days
No option of other shipping choice from Amazon vendor approx weight 15 kg's
Customs paid in South Africa - $80

1 x Dawoo full automatic front loading (3 kg load)wall mount washing machine (220v 1500w on hot water mode for my boat)
Ordered from the USA ( but was directly shipped from Korea)
Cost : $760.99
Cost including shipping : $800.99
Shipping method : UPS
Delivery date: ( from shipping tracker til delivery) 24 July - 1 August so 5 days
Approx weight :20 kg's
Customs pain in South Africa - $20

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 14-08-2016, 00:25   #11

Thanks everyone for their input.I will read Pegs book before doing anything.Thanks to SF as well😬Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
oil, raritan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: