Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 07:08   #1

Boat: Caliber 47 - Makai
Raritan Toilet Head - Shaft Seal Won't Sit

I'm trying to replace the piston shaft seal on my Raritan PH II, but each time, the seal won't sit and is sucked inside. I already had to replace it on another head and had the same issue, but finally managed to have it stay in place... This time, it just won't work. Any advice?
Thank you
heraulc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:28   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Raritan toilet head - Shaft seal won't sit

Quote:
Originally Posted by heraulc2 View Post
I'm trying to replace the piston shaft seal on my Raritan PH II, but each time, the seal won't sit and is sucked inside. I already had to replace it on another head and had the same issue, but finally managed to have it stay in place... This time, it just won't work. Any advice?
Thank you
Are you certain you've got the seal facing the right direction? The flat side of the seal goes up, or into the fitting on the top of the pump cyclinder through which the piston rod passes with the open end of the seal--that with the round spring assembly--facing into the body of the cyclinder. (A friend of mine had the same difficulty you report and, in fact, had the seal backwards!). It also helps to lubricate the rod with a little non-petroleum based lubricant and completely cover the seal spring with teflon grease.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:36   #3

Thank you for the grease tip. We will try it out. Unfortunately, we've got the seal facing the right direction.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:50   #4
Marine Service Provider

When all else fails, call Raritan tech support: 800-352-5630 x 6
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:59   #5

Re: Raritan Toilet Head - Shaft Seal Won't Sit

Thank you, the grease solution did the trick.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:39   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by heraulc2 View Post
Thank you, the grease solution did the trick.
Excellant. Just remeber to lube the rod with non-petroleum based grease once in a while and you're good to go.. (Petroleum based lubricants will deteriorate the seal.)

Cheers...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 06-12-2011, 06:43   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Excellant. Just remeber to lube the rod with non-petroleum based grease once in a while and you're good to go.. (Petroleum based lubricants will deteriorate the seal.)

Cheers...
Really?? I seem to remember the Jabsco manuals recommending Vaseline, which is petroleum-based. And I always see people using ordinary bearing grease (axle grease) on rubber impellers.

What is the truth on this??
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Really?? I seem to remember the Jabsco manuals recommending Vaseline, which is petroleum-based. And I always see people using ordinary bearing grease (axle grease) on rubber impellers.

What is the truth on this??
FWIW it was a Raritan Tech that advised me not to use petroleum based lube when I called to ask about what seemed like unduly rapid deterioration of the seals on our heads (2). Having changed to a silicon grease as suggested, our seals are now 4+ years old and don't leak a drop.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:55   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Over the long run petrolium products do seem to damage rubber. When used to lube a new impeller it washes off so quickly that it doesn't have time to do any damage. I always prefer to use a silicone grease on rubber parts. You only need grease on an impeller for the few seconds it needs to prime the first time. After that water lubricates it.
Old 14-03-2016, 10:02   #10

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Are you certain you've got the seal facing the right direction? The flat side of the seal goes up, or into the fitting on the top of the pump cyclinder through which the piston rod passes with the open end of the seal--that with the round spring assembly--facing into the body of the cyclinder. (A friend of mine had the same difficulty you report and, in fact, had the seal backwards!). It also helps to lubricate the rod with a little non-petroleum based lubricant and completely cover the seal spring with teflon grease.

FWIW...
I have the exact same issue - newly (NIBag parts) installed O ring and seal, pointy end down, well lubricated shaft - and yet, water coming out between the shaft and the nut which holds the other two parts down.

Installation instructions say to tighten only to Xin-lbs as the O-ring will distort. I confirm that, using only my hand and the requisite deep socket, as the O-ring tries to loop out. Releasing and starting over to just before said deformation is not sufficient to prevent active leakage (not a drop or two) on the upstroke when filling.

I also see no indication, nor was there one in the sealed parts bag of the replacement nut/seal/O-ring, of a spring. Where does this spring go, and, is there a part number I'm missing, somehow?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, raritan, shaft seal