Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-10-2016, 15:31   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fountain Pajot Belize 43
Re: Raritan PHIIE Install Problem

Had ongoing problems with head blockage on a former boat. Was suggested on this forum may be the paper so purchased 5 different brands, took two sheets of each, place in jar 3/4 full of water and give good shake. Only one of the 5 broke down completely. Aust brand name is Quilton for those interested. Have only used that brand since and no more blockage probs since with any system. Interestingly next best was cheap Woolworths home brand. Ahhh marine heads don't you just luv em. Peg question for you if I may. I'm about to replace a worn out Jabsco manual that has the electric conversion kit with a full size electric. Final two are Jabsco 17" deluxe model at AUS$1500 or the TMC full household size at AUS$465. TMC obvious choice but worried may be false economy in the long term? What are your thoughts on the two? I have a Jabsco manual in the other hull and absolutely keeping that.

Old 11-10-2016, 16:07   #17
Marine Service Provider

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tumbleweed, I don't understand the logic of removing the electric conversion as all it does is move the pump handle up and down

I do. The motor pumps the toilet a lot faster than pumping manually...so it takes a little longer to prime, which means a little extra dry friction wear on the seals and o-rings if the pump isn't kept scrupulously lubricated (which few of 'em are), requiring more frequent rebuilds. It also pumps with a shorter stroke, which can cause the toilet to "choke" on flushes that slower more deliberate manual pumping could easily push through. I've known a LOT of people over the years who've regretted adding the motor and just disconnected it and gone back to manual.

The only reason Raritan still offers it is because there are enough people who want the "push button convenience" of an electric toilet, but think it necessary to have a manual backup in case of catastrophic power failure...not realizing that in that event, not being able to flush a toilet would be the LEAST of their worries...and they'd still have a bucket and a line to put it over the side to flush it.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 16:17   #18
Marine Service Provider

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Peg question for you if I may. I'm about to replace a worn out Jabsco manual that has the electric conversion kit with a full size electric. Final two are Jabsco 17" deluxe model at AUS$1500 or the TMC full household size at AUS$465. TMC obvious choice but worried may be false economy in the long term? What are your thoughts on the two? I have a Jabsco manual in the other hull and absolutely keeping that.

Neither the Jabsco nor the TMC are anywhere near top of the line toilets, but even though Jabsco now makes everything in Mexico with parts and components sourced from China and similar sources, it's still a LOT more reliable/durable than a TMC. Replacement pumps for the Jabsco cost very little more than the "service kit" for it--sometimes even less if you catch 'em on sale, and they're easy to swap out...just remove and replace 4 bolts and two hoses. So if you're gonna be away from places where there are marine stores for an extended period (more than a year), I suggest you pick up a couple of spare pumps to keep on hand.

In fact, I just had a (maybe) useful afterthought: for a fraction of what you'd have pay for complete new Jabsco in AU, you could buy just a pump assembly--and maybe a new base too (not sure if the current pump will fit an older base...check that out) from Hop-Car and re-use your existing bowl...that WILL definitely fit a new base. I'm seeing pumps for <USD $100...and shipping via postal service from the US without the weight of the bowl couldn't possibly drive the price up to anywhere near AU $1500 and duty shouldn't be too bad on a "repair part."
Old 11-10-2016, 16:22   #19
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Test Poop
GagGifts.com: Fake Dog Poop
Old 11-10-2016, 16:25   #20
Senior Cruiser

Boat: C&C 34

When you flush solids do you do it in the wet or dry bowl position? In wet the solids will just spin around.
Old 11-10-2016, 16:31   #21
Marine Service Provider

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
When you flush solids do you do it in the wet or dry bowl position? In wet the solids will just spin around.
ALWAYS add water to the bowl of any toilet ahead of solids...much easier to flush, plus it leaves the bowl a lot cleaner. Use a cup from the sink if you have a toilet that isn't designed to keep water in the bowl.
Old 11-10-2016, 16:32   #22
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Peggie, I had a guy call me yesterday asking about parts for the electric conversion on his PHII. I sent him a parts list and told him to tell me what part numbers he needed. I then mentioned he might be happier just taking the darn thing off. I haven't heard back from him. Me and my big mouth!
Old 11-10-2016, 16:37   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fountain Pajot Belize 43

Thanks Peg. Yes thought of keeping the bowl etc but partner would like a full size hence the need for complete unit. Will go with the Jabsco option. cheers
Old 11-10-2016, 16:38   #24

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Peg,

What's your opinion of the Raritan SeaEra Electric Conversion for a Jabsco manual pump? (I believe it's a simple bolt on conversion, use the same bowl)

Any difference with Salt or Fresh water for reliability?

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2016, 17:04   #25
Marine Service Provider

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Peg, What's your opinion of the Raritan SeaEra Electric Conversion for a Jabsco manual pump? (I believe it's a simple bolt on conversion, use the same bowl) Any difference with Salt or Fresh water for reliability? Thanks!
The SeaEra is an excellent toilet...in fact, was rated "best budget buy" in a comparison of macerating electric toilets by Practical Sailor a couple of years ago...so it's great choice! The "conversion" is actually everything but the bowl, seat and lid...and the bowl WILL fit the SeaEra conversion...in fact, any bowl that mounts with a 4- bolt + pattern will fit.

Sea water and fresh water are equally reliable. However, the fresh water version eliminates those pesky sea water odor problems, draws only 10a vs 16a for the sea water version, and is MUCH quieter. So if you have the fresh water to spare (about 3 gal/person/day), I'd go with it.

Important no matter which one you choose: all electric toilets should be on their own separate dedicated electrical circuit with its own breaker, shared by nothing else that could lower the voltage to it. Low voltage is a leading cause of sluggish discharge and is also highly destructive to all electric motors. So since you're upgrading from manual to electric, you'll need to run a new circuit for it. If you're not skilled in electrical work, you prob'ly should hire a certified marine electrician to do that much. The plumbing is easy...you can do that yourself.
Old 11-10-2016, 17:21   #26
Senior Cruiser

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
ALWAYS add water to the bowl of any toilet ahead of solids...much easier to flush, plus it leaves the bowl a lot cleaner. Use a cup from the sink if you have a toilet that isn't designed to keep water in the bowl.
Yes add water first and then go to dry bowl. If you leave the PII in wet bowl all you do is fill up the holding tank.
Old 11-10-2016, 17:24   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
The SeaEra is an excellent toilet...in fact, was rated "best budget buy" in a comparison of macerating electric toilets by Practical Sailor a couple of years ago...so it's great choice! The "conversion" is actually everything but the bowl, seat and lid...and the bowl WILL fit the SeaEra conversion...in fact, any bowl that mounts with a 4- bolt + pattern will fit.

Sea water and fresh water are equally reliable. However, the fresh water version eliminates those pesky sea water odor problems, draws only 10a vs 16a for the sea water version, and is MUCH quieter. So if you have the fresh water to spare (about 3 gal/person/day), I'd go with it.

Important no matter which one you choose: all electric toilets should be on their own separate dedicated electrical circuit with its own breaker, shared by nothing else that could lower the voltage to it. Low voltage is a leading cause of sluggish discharge and is also highly destructive to all electric motors. So since you're upgrading from manual to electric, you'll need to run a new circuit for it. If you're not skilled in electrical work, you prob'ly should hire a certified marine electrician to do that much. The plumbing is easy...you can do that yourself.
Thanks for the info!

It's on the to-do list!
Old 12-10-2016, 00:20   #28
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

DotDun, another point in favor of the fresh water flush is it's less expensive than the raw water flush version. You don't need to buy another pump. The flush water is supplied by your existing fresh water pump.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:09   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I believe you don't need a strainer either, which you may for raw water flush?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-10-2016, 05:59   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
DotDun, another point in favor of the fresh water flush is it's less expensive than the raw water flush version. You don't need to buy another pump. The flush water is supplied by your existing fresh water pump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I believe you don't need a strainer either, which you may for raw water flush?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
The minimalist/KISS in me says stay with raw water/manual pump, but the older I get the more attractive modern convienences look......

Tags
raritan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: