Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 12:50   #1

Boat: H40
Raritan Head problem after rebuild.

I have a 1985 Hunter with two Raritan heads. I installed rebuild kits in each head. A problem I had had before the rebuild is still present. On only one head, set on the dry setting, after I pull up on the handle and start pressing down, the handle is spongy like it has and air lock and you are building up pressure. As you keep pushing down on it in a bumping fashion, the handle will go down. Has anyone had a similar problem and how do I rectify it?
jtschetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 13:24   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Raritan Head problem after rebuild.

It sounds to me like you either have a full holding tank or the y-valve is set so you are trying to pump through the deck fitting, which is cranked down. If it were open you would be pumping doo-doo all over your deck.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 17:15   #3

Boat: '88 Passport 41' Magic Moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
It sounds to me like you either have a full holding tank or the y-valve is set so you are trying to pump through the deck fitting, which is cranked down. If it were open you would be pumping doo-doo all over your deck.

Rich
You need to give the model number. If it is a PHC or a PH II, then remove the square nut on the front side of the head. Clean the rubber jocker valve and the spring load valve underneath. That will fix you up.
A
Dynamo1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 17:40   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post

Rich
This seems to be the problem.
Old 10-05-2012, 19:51   #5
Marine Service Provider

Dynamo is the only one who even came close to the right diagnosis. The air valve assembly (part #1203W on the attached drawing Raritan PH II parts and drawing has finally worn out...you need a new one. It's not in the rebuild kit. You can try removing it and cleaning it, but as old as it is, I'm not optimistic that'll work.

You'll find it on the front of the pump housing...it's a little square flat nut with a hole in it that looks like it's molded into the cylinder, but is actually threaded in. When you replace it, wrap the threads in teflon tape to prevent it from leaking.

Btw...There are two versions of the PHII marine toilet--those manufactured before June of 1992 and those manufactured after June, 1992. Each has its own unique repair kit...only about half the parts in each one are interchangeable, so it's very important that you get the right one for your toilet.

The earlier version, manufactured between August, 1981 and June, 1992 uses repair kit # PHRKII. The PHII toilets manufactured after June, 1992 use repair kit PHRKIIC.

Any mfr'd before August '81 are the original PH, not PH II. Any toilet old enough to be a PH has to be pretty much worn out by now, but if you insist on grooming a dead horse, the correct kit for it is PHRK.

peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:16   #6

Boat: '88 Passport 41' Magic Moments

20 years livaboard with a PH II and many rebuilds I, this day, am finally replacing the old dog with the same PH II model. Its a good unit but needs attention especially to that front air valve and also the shaft sealing O-ring...the base developed a crack.
Peg, is there a source for that shaft O-ring outside the complete kit?
A
Dynamo1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:06   #7
Marine Service Provider

20 years is the average lifespan for a PHII. If your seat and lid are still in good shape, all you really need is a new pump assembly.

Peg, is there a source for that shaft O-ring outside the complete kit?

Yup...Raritan. 800-352-5630 x 6. Order a couple of new joker valves at the same time. It should be replaced annually in ANY manual marine toilet. For the reason, search this forum for "joker valve 101."
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 19:19   #8

Thanks for the help, all. Using the advise above, I will check it out. I feel confident I can solve the problem.
Old 21-05-2012, 02:32   #9

I finally got back to my boat and cleaned the part #1203W on my troubled head. My head works like a new one. Thanks to all for the help!!

Tags
head, raritan