Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-08-2013, 21:27   #31

Boat: Dufour 27
Re: Raritan Electro Scan

Raritan Lectra/San LST/MC Experience:
I have had reoccurring issues with my Lectra/San LST/MC product for years, most recently; I am experiencing difficulty obtaining the right amount of salt from the Raritan Salt Tank to efficiently process the effluent in my Lectra/San unit; as a result the amber light indicating low salt on the control panel blinks during every flush, therefore I have to reset the unit after each use. I purchased a new salt tank pump from Raritan earlier this month however it did not solve the problem. Raritan’s technical support provided oversight by phone as the new pump ($92.00) was correctly installed told my Marine Electrician the problem must be with the circuit board I purchased from Raritan last year. I contacted Raritan Service in Fort Lauderdale, FL. requesting a replacement circuit board; their Service Manager informed me that this issue is not uncommon, and I would have to purchase a new one for full price.

As I am not going to pay Raritan $216.00 plus $11.72 for UPS ground shipping every year for a disposable circuit board; I have simply disconnected the Salt Tank from the Circuit Board. Now after every flush my guest and I just shake a little Kosher Salt into the toilet bowl and say “here is to you Raritan”. My boat needs to have salt added to the effluent as the boat is in brackish water and the MSD unit needs a higher level salt concentration to process adequately.

I like the idea of discharging a safe effluent as opposed to storing “black water” onboard in a holding tank; although I was initially sold on Raritan I would not recommend a Raritan product to anyone. A good idea screw up by poor tech support.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:00   #32

Boat: Navigator Pilothouse Classic 42'

WeekendSailor -- I'm curious what Raritan unit you have (model number), and how long you've had it for?

I recently placed a call to their tech support and found it varied -- first person didn't even respond to me after I finished my question, just patched me into someone's voice mail, so I hung up and called back. Second person was super helpful and knew what to do to fix my problem.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:34   #33

Boat: Dufour 27

Hi,

I have a Lectra/san LST/MC unit than I purchased new in 2005, eight years ago.

The best technical assistance I have received from Raritan has been from Mac McCoy, Raritan Engineering's Service Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL. I have communicated with him via e-mail: macm@raritaneng.com

Good luck
Old 10-09-2013, 09:25   #34
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Plus 1 on Mac McCoy! He really knows his .....
Old 11-09-2013, 19:19   #35

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Question---

Why bother with the expense, installation and maintenance of a Raritan Electro Scan or any other on board treatment system when the device be it good or bad is not recognized by environmentalist driven laws?

Seriously, if you still are required to get a pump out, why treat it first?

OK, OK--- I know someone will respond that not all areas are NDZs. And I say, NOT YET! Here in Massachusetts the whackies have made the 3 mile limit extend outwards to more than 15 miles. They simply made the 3 mile limit begin outside of our off shore islands. So if you want to be a goody goody and power out to the 3 mile limits, you have to travel over 30 miles, 15 out and 15 back.

And I know this has already been argued to ad nauseam, it still does not relieve the disgust seeing cities and towns dumping so called treated waste into the harbor and bay through 10'+ diameter pipes especially after a rain storm.

This foolishness helps move decent, caring people into law breakers.
Old 11-09-2013, 20:40   #36
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Foggy, I'm not familiar with the law in Massachusetts but in other areas the three mile limit has nothing to do with whether you are in a no discharge zone or not. In most places it is perfectly legal to discharge treated waste. You only have to go offshore to discharge untreated waste.
Old 12-09-2013, 00:17   #37

Boat: Navigator Pilothouse Classic 42'

Perhaps he means, due to all the islands, there is no place that is 3 miles from any shore, unless you drive out 15 miles from the mainland? It's kind of like that within much of Puget Sound... I think I found a small area off Bainbridge that is 3 miles from all the surrounding shores, but I'm not confident enough that I would dump there anyway. Plus I don't need to... pumpout is included in my slip rent (boat comes by and does it weekly), plus I have the Electro-Scan and we're not in a NDZ.

My advice to Foggy would be, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. If they require you to get a pump out, they should make sure there are plenty of stations around that are convenient and cheap.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:24   #38
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think I understand Foggy's frustration. Mass has huge no discharge areas. I wonder where they put all the treated sewage from the folks on land?
Old 12-09-2013, 19:59   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDontPlay View Post
Perhaps he means, due to all the islands, there is no place that is 3 miles from any shore, unless you drive out 15 miles from the mainland? It's kind of like that within much of Puget Sound... I think I found a small area off Bainbridge that is 3 miles from all the surrounding shores, but I'm not confident enough that I would dump there anyway. Plus I don't need to... pumpout is included in my slip rent (boat comes by and does it weekly), plus I have the Electro-Scan and we're not in a NDZ.

My advice to Foggy would be, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. If they require you to get a pump out, they should make sure there are plenty of stations around that are convenient and cheap.

Gator-- you're right on with the 3 mile stuff. We dock in the town of Fairhaven which shares a harbor with teh City of New Bedford. This harbor opens to Buzzard's Bay which is a no discharge whether your 3 miles from the mainland or not. But the Elisabeth Islands are at least 10 miles from our shores. The other side of the Elisabeth Islands is Vineyard Sound followed with Martha's Vineyard some 5 miles or so away from the Elisabeths.

Buzzard's Bay along with Nantucket & Vineyard Sounds are NDZs. So looking outward from the Hurricane barrier that separates our harbor from the Buzzard's Bay to a legal discharge zone is 3 miles on the other side of Martha's Vineyard which is at least 15 miles from our hurricane barrier.

The whole thing is crazy. Fairhaven provides free pump outs on Saturday and Sunday mornings... by appointment. If its a holiday, you're out of luck. Meanwhile the Town of Fairhaven has a 10' diameter pipe pumping so their called treated "chum" inside the harbor (inside the breakwater) especially after a rain storm.

About 2-3 miles outside of the breakwater one finds a huge pipe dumping...you know what... but of course treated from the City of New Bedford.

AND ENVIRONMENTALISTS ARE AGAINST ON BOARD TREATMENT SYSTEMS??? THEY ALSO ARE CRAZY!!! Personally.... I would spend the 2500-3500 or whatever the charge for an approved system but it aint gonna (hard typing this slang because normally I refrain from using it) happen!

Frequently I see a "Save the Bay" pump out boat plying the outer anchoring areas such as Cuttyhunk. It is a small boat that I doubt can hold more than 150 gal of poop IF THAT! Now think about it! That tiny poop boat has to power a minimum of 13-15 miles across Buzzard's Bay to pump out no more than 5 each 30 gallon tanks and then retreat back that 13-15 miles to legally empty the poop load.

Foggy
Old 12-09-2013, 20:19   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Foggy, I'm not familiar with the law in Massachusetts but in other areas the three mile limit has nothing to do with whether you are in a no discharge zone or not. In most places it is perfectly legal to discharge treated waste. You only have to go offshore to discharge untreated waste.

Hop--- Are you sure that treated wastes can be discharged in a NDZ???? Maybe you were not addressing a NDZ and then I agree.

The Clean Water Act as I understand it specifically prohibits it. And that is the irritant I addressed in my posts.

Foggy
Old 12-09-2013, 20:53   #41
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Foggy, you are correct that treated waste can not be discharged into a NDZ. It's just that in most parts of the US there is no NDZ and it perfectly legal to discharge treated waste. I looked up the NDZ's in Mass, they seem to cover the whole coast.

Down here in Florida most of the Keys are an NDZ and there is one other small one . The vast majority of Florida is not an NDZ. You can be within a few feet of shore and discharge treated waste.
Old 12-09-2013, 21:44   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Yeah, it makes no sense:

You can pee in the water while swimming

You can poop into a bucket and dump it overboard

We all learned in high school that urine (when healthy) is sterile

But you can't pee into a toilet and pump it overboard.

As for a solution, we got our Purasan from HopCar about 6 months ago. It's a "Boat Unit", and a weekend to install. It's not easy, but not that hard. If you have: 1) the room, 2) water supply and 3) 12v power nearby, it's really pretty easy.
Old 12-09-2013, 23:05   #43
Marine Service Provider

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

You can poop into a bucket and dump it overboard

Nope, you can't put it in a bucket either....Federal law prohibits of discharge of sewage ("human body wastes and the wastes from toilets and other receptacles intended to receive or retain body waste")...and that would include a bucket. Discharge "includes, but is not limited to, any spilling, leaking, pouring, pumping, emitting, emptying, or dumping."

However, it is not illegal to pee OR poop directly into the water from the dock or deck (lee rail strongly recommended).
https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-B...dp/1892399784/
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 23:21   #44
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Peggie! I sold one of your books today. That's a little profit for each of us.

Don't be a stranger. We miss you on the forum.
Old 13-09-2013, 00:00   #45

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ahh I knew that the old toilet seat in the shrouds would come back !!They can get a little wet sometimes, but at least there leagal!! LOL

Tags
raritan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: