Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2019, 03:49   #1
B4A

Boat: 2018 Robertson and Caine, Leopard 40
Rainman watermaker or USD4,000 worth of spares for my current Spectra Newport 400?

I am circumnavigating and I have a Spectra Newport 400 watermaker with 100+ hours.

I am debating if I should buy a second watermaker as the AC Electric Rainman for USD4,200 as a backup, or if for the same money I'd better buy a spare pump, cylinder, piston, j-fittings etc. for my Spectra so that if something breaks I can easily repair it.

I already had to replace one cylinder and piston for the Spectra watermaker here in Brazil, and getting the parts was very expensive and took a long time.

I'm thinking that is some parts of the Pacific it's going to be even more difficult and expansive, hence the idea of getting either a back up system or if for the same money I can get all the spares I need for my current Spectra.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:00   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Rainman watermaker or USD4,000 worth of spares for my current Spectra Newport 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4A View Post
I am circumnavigating and I have a Spectra Newport 400 watermaker with 100+ hours.

I am debating if I should buy a second watermaker as the AC Electric Rainman for USD4,200 as a backup, or if for the same money I'd better buy a spare pump, cylinder, piston, j-fittings etc. for my Spectra so that if something breaks I can easily repair it.

I already had to replace one cylinder and piston for the Spectra watermaker here in Brazil, and getting the parts was very expensive and took a long time.

I'm thinking that is some parts of the Pacific it's going to be even more difficult and expansive, hence the idea of getting either a back up system or if for the same money I can get all the spares I need for my current Spectra.
In my experience watermakers are very reliable and if you do need parts for anything you can get stuff flown in via FedEx or DHL almost anywhere, the world's just not as isolated as it once was.

Seems a big expense for just in case. Remember you can get water mostly anywhere as well.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:07   #3
B4A

Re: Rainman watermaker or USD4,000 worth of spares for my current Spectra Newport 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
In my experience watermakers are very reliable and if you do need parts for anything you can get stuff flown in via FedEx or DHL almost anywhere, the world's just not as isolated as it once was.

Seems a big expense for just in case. Remember you can get water mostly anywhere as well.
Unfortunately this is not true, in my experience.

In Brazil for example, I had to replace the cylinder of the watermaker. There are no Spectra agents in Brazil, so I had to order it from Miami. And I paid 80% duties on shipping costs (luckily the invoice was USD0.00 as part replaced under warranty, otherwise I would have paid 80% taxes also on the price of the parts).

There is plenty of water in Brazil, but unfortunately the quality is not good.

Hence my question.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:15   #4

Quote:
Unfortunately this is not true, in my experience.

In Brazil for example, I had to replace the cylinder of the watermaker. There are no Spectra agents in Brazil, so I had to order it from Miami. And I paid 80% duties on shipping costs (luckily the invoice was USD0.00 as part replaced under warranty, otherwise I would have paid 80% taxes also on the price of the parts).

There is plenty of water in Brazil, but unfortunately the quality is not good.

Hence my question.
Ok, for what's it's worth I've got a rain man, its plug and play, I've never had a problem with it and use it every 5 days, therefore I can reccomend it. 140l/ hr is cool.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:25   #5

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I supplied several cruisers with spares for Pacific crossings in the last 5 months or so.
Their total was far less then the $4k your talking about.
As somebody who repairs spectras "out there cruising" I've only seen 1 J tube go bad from an unattended leak. I've seen compression fitting bases corrode but still function fine.
My recommendation for spares would be
2 membrane vessel end caps
1 cyl end cap
4 annular rings
2 spool valves
Or just a spare loaded valve block
1 feed pump head or
1 spare feed pump motor a little excessive , you can get these shipped in if really needed
Maybe carry brushes instead of a entire motor
1 spare boost pump
Spare check valve o rings and annular ring o rings etc
Lots of pre filters
Should way under even half the 4k Mark,
Pistons and cylinders rarely go bad and if grooved you can smooth them easily,
Most damage occurs from owners over tightening fittings into the end caps or cylinder bases and cracking them.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:03   #6
B4A

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Ok, for what's it's worth I've got a rain man, its plug and play, I've never had a problem with it and use it every 5 days, therefore I can reccomend it. 140l/ hr is cool.

That's 9 Watts per liter, which is way less than 15 Watts per liter of the Spectra, although your inverter will probably draw an additional 4 Watts. Had I known about this watermaker when I bought the boat, I would have probably chosen it over the Spectra, but I did not know if it's existence.

Do you have a fixed installation?
Old 06-07-2019, 08:38   #7

Quote:
That's 9 Watts per liter, which is way less than 15 Watts per liter of the Spectra, although your inverter will probably draw an additional 4 Watts. Had I known about this watermaker when I bought the boat, I would have probably chosen it over the Spectra, but I did not know if it's existence.

Do you have a fixed installation?
I have it semi installed. Its just a watermaker in a case therefore it can be a permanent install if one wishes.

I don't run it of the inverter as the draw is up around 100a, if I remember correctly. I run it of a little Honda generator.

I cant fault it, simple unit that does what they advertise to do. I've also found the company provides very good service, Rob gets customer service.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:54   #8

does the Rainman have energy recovery? 9 watts/ltr is very good
briblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 14:13   #9

Quote:

That'd be disappointing. Our Parker/Village Marine Little Wonder has something like 4000 hours, and apart from a membrane I put chlorine through, has required only filters.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 15:10   #10

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Quote:
I paid 80% duties on shipping costs (luckily the invoice was USD0.00 as part replaced under warranty, otherwise I would have paid 80% taxes also on the price of the parts).
Brazil is one of the worst country for importing foreign goods. Import taxes are crazy, from 80 to 100% on mostly everything.
I am no sure why this crazy import taxes policy.

In most other countries I deal with, import duties are much lower. This was bad luck that your trouble happened while in Brazil.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 15:37   #11
B4A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
That'd be disappointing. Our Parker/Village Marine Little Wonder has something like 4000 hours, and apart from a membrane I put chlorine through, has required only filters.
Thanks, interesting water maker.
Old 06-07-2019, 15:49   #12

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Actually the rainman electric version draws 1300 watts at 120v a.c.. not really anywhere close comparison wise to the efficiency of the spectra.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 16:20   #13

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

I have an ERS system water maker
I carry a set of o rings, 2 end caps for the pressure cylinder, a membrane, a pressure switch and a spare pump, lots of filters and cleaning solution. that's well under 2K. closer to 1300 dollars - oh and the service manual......

I have had to rebuild the ERS once, but it was from an o ring slipping in too cold water and it operating at too high a pressure. I now run the intake water through a heat exchanger
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 18:53   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Actually the rainman electric version draws 1300 watts at 120v a.c.. not really anywhere close comparison wise to the efficiency of the spectra.
Yes, but they aren't comparable , no one buys a rainman to run of an inverter they buy them because, they are simple,portable and produce alot of water. Not better or worse just different.
Old 06-07-2019, 19:54   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Rainman watermaker or USD4,000 worth of spares for my current Spectra Newport 400?

Ideal is two functioning water makers, if your going to have two, it’s best that they are identical as they use the exact same parts etc, two different devices now means two separate spares lists.
I don’t have that kind of room and or money, so I carry spares that are most likely to be needed, the HP pump can usually be rebuilt and a spare low pressure pump, fittings and a membrane, however mine is a simple system, if it were a Spectra Maybe you should carry a Clark pump? I don’t know can you rebuild one your self?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current, newport, sd40, water, watermaker