Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2013, 05:54   #1

Boat: Valiant 42
R134A refrigerant banned in EU?

Do any of our EU based members know if R134A is being phased out in the EU? If so, what replaces it?

I ask because of recent stories about a spat between France and Germany that has halted sales of big Mercedes cars in France. The reason the French give is that R134A is a greenhouse gas and cannot be used. The Germans say the replacement is highly flammable and unsafe.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 06:12   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: R134A refrigerant banned in EU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Do any of our EU based members know if R134A is being phased out in the EU? If so, what replaces it?

I ask because of recent stories about a spat between France and Germany that has halted sales of big Mercedes cars in France. The reason the French give is that R134A is a greenhouse gas and cannot be used. The Germans say the replacement is highly flammable and unsafe.
My understanding of this is that it will be finised by 2017,all cars that were designed before a certain date can use it ..The cars in question were designed after the "certain date" and were to use the newer refrig. which Germany says is slightly more flammable at a lower temp. It also is only made by two companys(Honeywell and Dupont)neither of which is German(as if it makes a differance) I have also read something on a future ban of the main ingrediant in bleach(clorine?) seems its doing some ugly stuff to the enviroment,
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 18:08   #3

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Propane will work! Yeah I know, kaboom stuff creates fear. I certainly would consider it especially as a substitute for crazilly priced R22.

The wacky environmentalists have no clue what they want other than wind & sun. Massachusetts is now considering a cap and trade. Guess where they got that idea from.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 18:15   #4

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
My understanding of this is that it will be finised by 2017,all cars that were designed before a certain date can use it ..The cars in question were designed after the "certain date" and were to use the newer refrig. which Germany says is slightly more flammable at a lower temp. It also is only made by two companys(Honeywell and Dupont)neither of which is German(as if it makes a differance) I have also read something on a future ban of the main ingrediant in bleach(clorine?) seems its doing some ugly stuff to the enviroment,

Soon all the good stuff will only be available from 3rd world countries. And there is always UPS & Fed X available.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote