Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2015, 14:12   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Quiet 12v Galley Blower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Those type of fans are always noisy. new or old. Never heard one that wasn't. I like the rheastat idea to find the least noisy RPM though.
One way to make them more quiet is to mount them far away from the galley, and use as low RPM and large blade fan as possible. Smaller size means smaller blades means more RPM for the same volume of circulation, equals more noise. Don't forget also that there will be noise in the ducting proportional to the speed of the air in there, so you want the largest duct you can manage.

Our galley exhaust blower is in the lazarette with the engine room blowers, and sucks through a long large diameter duct, and it's not too noisy. It exhausts out the transom together with the engine room blowers.

I realize this exact set up is not an option with a cat, but maybe there is some way you can route the duct to get the blower away from your space.

Whatever you do, feel lucky you have one at all This device is not all that common in my experience, and is worth its weight in gold, even if it's noisy
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 14:23   #47

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Whatever you do, feel lucky you have one at all This device is not all that common in my experience, and is worth its weight in gold, even if it's noisy
+1.

It almost seems embarrassing to admit to having a range hood and exhaust, but I don't ever want another boat without one. It is amazing how all the galley heat simply goes out the vent, not to mention all the steam and such.

The biggest downside is all those moochers anchored downwind whenever bacon is frying or bread is baking. It's like setting up one of those CO2 traps for mosquitos….

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 14:33   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
+1.

It almost seems embarrassing to admit to having a range hood and exhaust, but I don't ever want another boat without one. It is amazing how all the galley heat simply goes out the vent, not to mention all the steam and such.

The biggest downside is all those moochers anchored downwind whenever bacon is frying or bread is baking. It's like setting up one of those CO2 traps for mosquitos….

Mark
Indeed And remember, unlike at home, we're cooking with propane. The main combustion product is -- water, and lots of it. That needs to be gotten out of the house in the most direct way possible . . .

I sure remember the misery of all that water vapor on previous boats without galley exhaust blowers. . .
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 14:42   #49
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
+1.

Mark
I got this mental image of cooking dinner in a mooring field with all these scruffy looking red-eyed miscreants zig zagging back and forth in old patched up RIBs with their noses in the air like a pack of Labrador Retrievers working their way upwind to the duck....
Old 16-12-2015, 08:27   #50

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

And they are using British Seagull outboards - gotta have that loud buzzing sound!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 11:33   #51
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Just today received a Rule exhaust fan, and I also bought a 12 volt fan control circuit. The sound level is much, much less than the one I was complaining about. Thanks for the info, Mark.

Mark? Hello, Mark? chirp. chirp....

Tags
galley