Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2011, 03:07   #1
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Queensland Pump Out Facilities ?

It has been a long time (+20 yrs) since I have sailed in Queensland waters and no doubt much has changed; especially rules & regulations, in particular w.r.t. holding tanks and pump out facilities but I might return there some day so I am asking:

What is the current situation say sailing (cruising) from Brisbane to Cairns (inside the reef) in regards how, what and where one empties one's holding tank?

FWIW, the was NO pump out facilities anywhere in Qld in the 1980s.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 03:23   #2

Boat: Seawind 1160
Re: Qld Pump Out Facilities?

There is a pumpout facility at Able Point Marina, Airlie Beach. It was free to use in June, 2011.

That's my one and only experience, happy to say.
DevoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 03:53   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Here's the info you seek....
Sewage (Maritime Safety Queensland)
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 04:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Here's the info you seek....
Sewage (Maritime Safety Queensland)
Thanks Reefmagnet, that's the rules bit taken care of. I must say they didn't look as bad as I thought they might be; now to hear what actually happens on the water in Qld!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 13-10-2011, 05:06   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Hey wotname - the practical reality is drain the holding tank in a reasonable location away from land while underway and it should be reasonably all good, the legal reality is however vastly different - theoretically easy to commit serious offences.

Here is something I prepared earlier, twas written a few years ago

The enforcement authorities here have a tenuous grasp of the law, but are by and large nice enough chaps and chappettes. Be nice but do NOT pay any fine or provide any interview. I have consulted on many many inappropriate actions by MSQ/Boat Fisheries/Water Police.
Attached Files
File Type: doc POO POLICE PATROL OUR WATERS.doc (62.0 KB, 131 views)
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 06:39   #6
Marine Service Provider

Interesting information! I have enough conversation with boat owners in OZ that I've saved it in my own files and--with your permission--may attach or quote from it. However, your name is nowhere to be found on it!

Btw...it appears to me that Queensland has it's own set of rules that aren't necessarily the same as those in the rest of Australia...true?
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 07:27   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Hi Peg

You may use the article, with appropriate attribution. Shoot me a PM and I will provide details and an authority for use that you can keep.

Word of warning though - its a couple of years old - written immediately after the introduction of the changes to law. The actual legislation had a ramping process where things got even harder over time, particularly for commercial vessels. The relevant legislation for Qld is Transport Operations (Marine Pollution) Act & Regulation. The act is based on MARPOL, and freely available on the Qld Govet website at TOMP Act.

Yes Qld has its own laws on many things, but over recent years most states have been working to "Harmonise" laws.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 07:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Btw...it appears to me that Queensland has it's own set of rules that aren't necessarily the same as those in the rest of Australia...true?
Every state has different rules, for instance there is NO requirement in Western Australia to have a holding tank or a macerator but there are limits as to where raw sewerage may be pumped out.
Old 14-10-2011, 14:59   #9
Marine Service Provider

Do I recall correctly that most of OZ has a "ONE mile limit" (in the US it's 3 miles)?

All input gratefully accepted re arcane sanitation laws, level of enforcement and any other pertinent info about OZ or any other country! People who cruise there are my best sources of local information!
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 15:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Do I recall correctly that most of OZ has a "ONE mile limit" (in the US it's 3 miles)?

All input gratefully accepted re arcane sanitation laws, level of enforcement and any other pertinent info about OZ or any other country! People who cruise there are my best sources of local information!
Referring to recreational ships, in Queensland as a rule of thumb for open waters, yes. There are many "no go" or nil discharge areas. The only requirement is that any waste discharged needs to be macerated. You don't need a holding tank - only a means to contain the waste when in a nil discharge area. This could feasibly be a bucket, though a porta-potti is the common budget solution - and there are lots of boats running around with unused porta-potties - go figure!

I'm my experience, officials that roll up to the anchorage in their RIB's never bother about checking or even mentioning in passing the onboard waste management. They only ever concern themselves with mandatory safety equipment checks and any fish you may have caught.
Old 14-10-2011, 15:32   #11

Re: Queensland Pump Out Facilities ?

Queensland.......Pages 64 & 65......

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/~/media/1d..._2011_2012.pdf
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 16:28   #12

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser

What I liked was when raw sewage in bulk was introduced to our waterways here in Brisbane Australia by the government a statement is issued that no hazard exist as it is dispersed naturally within 24hrs & that is usually more that all the pleasure boats in Australia could equal if all were in the Brisbane River at one time & flushed for the same 24hrs. How do you reverse silly regulations?? Its the way these laws are made that stink.
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 17:37   #13

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser

Cont from above. The regulations in Queensland Regs do note the 3nm clear of land mass for the discharge of untreated sewage is lawful in line with international Regulations. The pump out stations are still far & few within the marinas.
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 19:04   #14

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
It has been a long time (+20 yrs) since I have sailed in Queensland waters and no doubt much has changed; especially rules & regulations, in particular w.r.t. holding tanks and pump out facilities but I might return there some day so I am asking:

What is the current situation say sailing (cruising) from Brisbane to Cairns (inside the reef) in regards how, what and where one empties one's holding tank?

FWIW, the was NO pump out facilities anywhere in Qld in the 1980s.
Just about every commercial and better yachtclub marina has a pumpout attatched or nearby these days. Finding one wont be much harder than finding a bottle shop- particulary in busy areas. There are discharge laws in place and no doubt you have read this link by now. Sewage (Maritime Safety Queensland)

Like most things common sense prevails. If you discharge in a busy water way in the middle of the day youre going to get caught- or at least abused by another boat. But if your a few miles off the coast and you happen to discharge- the sun can take care of the mess. Though I dont think any one would really want to discharge in quiet little lagoons etc any more. That was the norm in the 70s and 80s, but we have all grown up a little since then..
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 22:09   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Just about every commercial and better yachtclub marina has a pumpout attatched or nearby these days. Finding one wont be much harder than finding a bottle shop- particulary in busy areas. There are discharge laws in place and no doubt you have read this link by now. Sewage (Maritime Safety Queensland)

Like most things common sense prevails. If you discharge in a busy water way in the middle of the day youre going to get caught- or at least abused by another boat. But if your a few miles off the coast and you happen to discharge- the sun can take care of the mess. Though I dont think any one would really want to discharge in quiet little lagoons etc any more. That was the norm in the 70s and 80s, but we have all grown up a little since then..

I'm in the Whitsundays and the only "local" pump out I know of is at Abel Point Marina (there are another 4 marinas, and 1 under construction, in the region).

Tags
queensland