Old 12-05-2015, 18:02   #106
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: PUR / Katadyn Watermaker Help from an Ex-Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidra88 View Post
Thank for the answers,
i will order an 35 manual for 199 $ on ebay. Its original and unused. Then I will have a look and test it out in Juli when i am back in Germany.
With a little good will it can work.

And if some one here in the states has some parts please send me a message.

regards

KLaus
Hi Klaus,

I am now also a Katadyn distributor since Spectra and Katadyn combined. We are just getting up to speed on parts lists and prices. But we should be up and running by the end of July. This may be a bit late for you, but we are world wide and I'd be more than happy to help you out in the future.

Best Regards
J.T.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 19:55   #107
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I have a late production 95, Powerurvivor 35 available if the suits you for spares. Th motor housing has some rust but runs quietly. The actual pump cylinder shows the original production cross hatching. Needs new membrane me seals. Doubt it has 20 hours on it. $350 obo

Old 12-05-2015, 20:09   #108
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1999 Leopard 45, 45 foot cat, 1980 Hunter 33, 33 foot monohull

Tellie, when did Spectra and Katadyn combine? Why? Who bought whom? Are they now based in Europe or Sausalito? Seems strange, somehow.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 13-05-2015, 08:36   #109
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Katadyn reportedly bought Spectra. I am eager to know if any new crossover models are planned perhaps to replace the 40E?
Old 13-05-2015, 18:13   #110
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Katadyn did buy Spectra. I'm in pretty close contact with both companies and I can say with confidence this was a very good move on Katadyns part. The watermaking division will stay in San Rafael where Spectra is located. We are still in a transition period and all is going very well. Hopefully by the end of July we should be up to speed with the combination of the two. I am personally excited about setting up a service extension with my company for the servicing of the Katadyn units already out there. I don't see any cross overs between the two units at this point but we have just hired a person who I have personally known for years and, I say with extreme confidence, is probably the brightest and most knowledgeable watermaker person there is. This, along with an already highly qualified staff at Spectra, is going to mean new things moving forward. I know this sounds like the usual speech given during this type of thing, but I assure you, if I didn't believe it, I wouldn't be part of it.

www.HaldenMarineService.com
Old 07-01-2016, 07:38   #111

Boat: Amel Euros 41

Hi guys,

Would like to buy service kit and spare membrane for my Katadyn 40E. Where is the best place to source those in Caribbean? We are currently in Grenada.

Fair sailing,
Üllar
Old 08-01-2016, 07:00   #112
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullar View Post
Hi guys,

Would like to buy service kit and spare membrane for my Katadyn 40E. Where is the best place to source those in Caribbean? We are currently in Grenada.

Fair sailing,
Üllar
Hi Ullar,

Don't know about sourcing in the Carib but you can order the parts from Defender in the US and they will ship. www.defender.Com

You might also check with Tellie to see if he is set up with Katadyn parts.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:08   #113

Boat: Amel Euros 41

Thank you skipmac, I checked Defenders web page and they do have both items listed. Have to figure out now where I can let them to deliver. We are not staying in any place for too long time.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:32   #114

Great thread to read, but I'm confused on what is required to push seawater through an RO membrane. Went scouting for a Canadian supplier of a system and found Aquasafe. They show multistage filter systems with an RO stage. Running at 50 psi??? And for under $200 cdn.
Can someone please apply the BS filter to these products, can this truly be an RO system in fact.? Similar claims on a site Apec. Look like same systems. I'm used to seeing 800psi requirements for RO, with pricing and power requirements to match. What's wrong with this picture?! Tx
Old 09-01-2016, 06:38   #115
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymaxion View Post
Great thread to read, but I'm confused on what is required to push seawater through an RO membrane. Went scouting for a Canadian supplier of a system and found Aquasafe. They show multistage filter systems with an RO stage. Running at 50 psi??? And for under $200 cdn.
Can someone please apply the BS filter to these products, can this truly be an RO system in fact.? Similar claims on a site Apec. Look like same systems. I'm used to seeing 800psi requirements for RO, with pricing and power requirements to match. What's wrong with this picture?! Tx

Seawater Ro requires high pressure. Home water filtration, starting with fresh water requires less pressure(no salt). These are not interchangeable systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-01-2016, 12:53   #116
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymaxion View Post

Sailmonkey is correct. Though technically both are RO systems the Aquasafe system is a fresh water RO home system that can use the 30-45psi your home water pressure system can deliver to push fresh city water through a fresh water membrane. Salt water membranes require 700-800psi to start the salt to fresh RO process.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Old 11-01-2016, 05:42   #117

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullar View Post
Hi guys,

Fair sailing,
Üllar
Electec in St Maarten are SPECTRA KATADYN and RAINMAN Dealers.

Audrey De La Salle
29 Wellington Road
Cole Bay
St Maarten
+1 721 544 2051
sales@electec.info
Electec - Home Page
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 19:50   #118

Boat: simpson 12

Hi there cruisers!

I recently purchased a boat with a PUR Survivor 35 already installed and decided to give it a complete overhaul. In doing so I degreased all the bearing and other parts that had grease on them and upon noticing one of the DC wires was loose took apart the motor to fix it and in the process pulled the drive shaft out of the gear box releasing the oil. Now I’m about to put it all back together and so have to re-grease all the moving parts and refill the gear box with oil. My question is what oil would you recommend for the gear box (and how much to put in) and what kind of grease/lubricant would you use on the bearings?

Cheers in advance!

Nic
Old 10-03-2016, 02:42   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfynic View Post
Hi there cruisers!

I recently purchased a boat with a PUR Survivor 35 already installed and decided to give it a complete overhaul. In doing so I degreased all the bearing and other parts that had grease on them and upon noticing one of the DC wires was loose took apart the motor to fix it and in the process pulled the drive shaft out of the gear box releasing the oil. Now I’m about to put it all back together and so have to re-grease all the moving parts and refill the gear box with oil. My question is what oil would you recommend for the gear box (and how much to put in) and what kind of grease/lubricant would you use on the bearings?

Cheers in advance!

Nic
Strongly recommend this before you do anything else. There's a video too.

Katadyn and PUR Watermakers: Installation, Maintenance and Troubleshooting

Important not to use the wrong grease.
Old 23-03-2016, 00:54   #120

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 33

Looks like I'll be acquiring a PUR 40E but no pre-filter housing is included (plenty of the elements though). Does anyone know of a compatible unit available?

Tags
katadyn, repairs, troubleshooting, watermaker

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: