Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2011, 13:07   #76

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55
Re: PUR / Katadyn Watermaker Help from an Ex-Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedbill View Post
Hello Ishipaco and others. The contributions to this thread and especially from Ishipaco along with your web site, have provided me with a wealth of information while I plan the installation of my first watermaker, a PS40E. I've never seen a watermaker in operation, so this may be a dumb question, however you know what they say about not asking.

I have a plumbing question that I have not been able to find an answer to.
I'm installing the PS40E in close proximity to my Mermaid A/C unit. When installing the A/C I routed the condensate to a small open tub which contains a bilge pump that pumps the accumulated condensate out via a thru-hull mounted above the water line. I am contemplating teeing the reject brine discharge into the same bilge line. I would install a check-valve in the condensate portion of the line to prevent the discharge from draining back into the open condensate tub. This whole setup is safe, because, if I have a discharge problem, all discharge ends up in the main bilge, and does not damage anything.

My question is this. Is the reject brine discharge of sufficient force to exit via an above the waterline thru-hull? The distance would be about 4 feet with a total rise of about 18 inches. Any and all opinions are welcomed.
My discharge was at least 3 feet above the water on my previous vessel and it still shot out with considerable force. I can't imaging 4' being a problem.

David
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:26   #77

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)
Survivor 06 Maintenance - Hose Mildew

My Survivor 06 dates from 2008 and has never been used in practice (ditch bag use). I have "pickled" it according to the manufacturer instructions, yet when I opened the kit recently to check it and do periodic inspection, I found that the dual intake hoses (and perhaps the smaller outlet hose) are marked with dark stains in several places, probably mildew. I "pickled" the unit again and ran considerable amounts of the solution through the unit. However the mildew is still bothering me.

Will this affect the unit's output in any meaningful way? Should I be concerned about the membrane itself? Is this a situation best addressed by the manufacturer's service department?
Old 03-01-2013, 12:44   #78

Boat: Beneteau 361

Dear Gary,
My wife and I live in SLO and remember that storm well. Sorry.
We have finally made it to the point of casting off in October 2013 and are making the final decisions of what to install. We are toying with the idea of turning our aft water tank into fuel and installing a 40e to keep the forward 60 gallon tank full. 4 thousand is a tough nut to crack for us....is there a cheaper way to buy these. If I should find one on ebay could it possibly be non-repairable...etc. Thank you so much,
Ken and Sheri
kenandsherbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 17:40   #79

Boat: 34' Aloha sloop, S/V Ishi (deceased)

Ken & Sheri:

Thanks for the condolences.

We did what you are considering doing; i.e., installed watermakers and eliminated one of our two 30-gal. water tanks. We used the freed space for extra storage. That worked well for us. Be advised, however, that we actually had two watermakers installed: an older model 35 and a 40E. Since we often did extended bluewater passages, depending on only one 30-gal. potable water tank and a single watermaker was not attractive. Actually, over the years, I managed to acquire redundant spares of all important equipment, such as inverter, alternator, autopilot drive units, etc., as well as a second watermaker.

Is the 40E selling for $4K nowadays? That seems outrageous, although they are definitely a good unit with great factory support. When they first came on the market in the late 1990s, they sold for under $2K! Quite a difference. Keep in mind that you should also purchase a Repair Seal Kit, which is a set of a few cents worth of o-rings, seals and other small parts that sells for something near $100! Of course, Katadyn is not the only company that prices things this way; it's how they make most of their money, and is a very common corporate technique.

Yes, you might find one for a better price on Ebay. But you need to be careful. Personally, I wouldn't agree to any arrangement unless I was able to test the watermaker before parting with my money. This might be difficult to arrange via Ebay. It's "buyer beware." On the other hand, there's not much to go wrong with a 40E, except for possible deterioration of the membrane. In other words, the most likely worst case would be if you had to replace the membrane and the seals. Last I heard, the membrane sold for somewhere around $400. Depending on what you had to pay for the used watermaker, that might still be a bargain. Other than that, I don't know of any other way to purchase a 40E at a more reasonable price. Good luck.
ishipaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 17:47   #80

kerrydeare:

Sorry to be so slow in responding. The forum never advised me of your post.

In answer to your question: You shouldn't have any problem at all routing the watermaker reject line to a point 4' (or higher) above the waterline.
Old 28-02-2013, 03:18   #81

Hi Ishi and others,

I inherited, with Chiara Stella, an old and broken PowerSurvivor 35. As far as I can tell the motor is working, however the pump is broken in several places, in particular the cap over the front pump where the membrane housing screws into place is broken into several pieces, with at least one piece missing.

Never mind, after doing a bit of reading I decided to see if I could rebuild it. I purchased a second hand Katadyn Survivor 35 off eBay and the pump units look to be the same. Now I need to fit the Katadyn Survivor 35 pump onto the PUR PowerSurvivor 35 motor and I will have a working motorised watermaker for a fraction of the cost of a new Survivor 40E.

First obvious task is to replace the long hex-head bolts that come with the Katadyn unit with equivalent length metal threads and nuts. Now if I only had a metal thread gauge to determine exactly what thread size they are -- does anyone have any idea? I'm guessing they may be metric M6 threads considering it's a European made unit.

Other than that -- thanks for putting together the web site, thanks for the comments in this thread so far, and wish me luck!
delatbabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 09:33   #82

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by delatbabel View Post
Hi Ishi and others,

I inherited, with Chiara Stella, an old and broken PowerSurvivor 35. As far as I can tell the motor is working, however the pump is broken in several places, in particular the cap over the front pump where the membrane housing screws into place is broken into several pieces, with at least one piece missing.

Never mind, after doing a bit of reading I decided to see if I could rebuild it. I purchased a second hand Katadyn Survivor 35 off eBay and the pump units look to be the same. Now I need to fit the Katadyn Survivor 35 pump onto the PUR PowerSurvivor 35 motor and I will have a working motorised watermaker for a fraction of the cost of a new Survivor 40E.

First obvious task is to replace the long hex-head bolts that come with the Katadyn unit with equivalent length metal threads and nuts. Now if I only had a metal thread gauge to determine exactly what thread size they are -- does anyone have any idea? I'm guessing they may be metric M6 threads considering it's a European made unit.

Other than that -- thanks for putting together the web site, thanks for the comments in this thread so far, and wish me luck!
Most hardware sites will have thread gauges
Old 28-02-2013, 12:44   #83

delatbabel:

The principal body parts are the same for the manual and powered version of the 35. Those models were originally designed and built in the U.S. by Recovery Engineering in Minneapolis, MN. The fasteners and thread gauges are all U.S., not metric. The Swiss company, Katadyn, didn't buy the business until many years later, and they retained most of the specs for the original 35.

If all you need to replace is the pump front body part (which the membrane housing screws into), you should be able to do that. If you need the back pump body and/or the piston shaft assy., you'll be in for some problems.

First, the piston shaft in the Survivor 35 has a SS pin press-fitted into the end for attaching the handle. This was done to prevent loss of the coupling pin, since the original intended role of the Survivor 35 was for (typically) one-time emergency use, primarily by the military. You would need a hydraulic press and someone who knows what they're doing to remove it. Until it's removed, it can't be separated from the pump back body housing. It's not designed to be coupled to a PowerSurvivor's drive unit.

The PowerSurvivor also has a coupling pin through the drive end of the piston shaft, but it's a loose fit and designed to be easily removable. It's kept in place by a rubber boot that slides over it at the coupling joint.

Other than that, the pump body parts and internal valves, etc., of the two models should be interchangeable, except: there were at least two different designs of the manifold that is attached to the top of the pump body halves. One had only five fasteners to attach it while the newer version had six. The sixth fastener was added to secure a differently designed hose barb assembly for the intake and reject hose barbs. The later design increased the hose barb size from (as I recall) 3/8" to 7/16". However, I can't think of any reason that either manifold design shouldn't work.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 15-03-2013, 23:40   #84

A question about reject water routing.

I have a 40e which i moved from my previous boat. Watermaker was bought new in mid 1999.

I have two options for the brine reject. One is about a foot away and is the overboard discharge for the sink drain. Due to the sink being below waterline when heeled i have a gulper ic pumping sink water overboard. It goes from the pump to a vented loop then to a sea cock about two feet under water.

I could easily t into this 3/4 inch line just after the existing vented loop, with its own vented loop if desired. I dont think t into line before the vented loop would be good as the connection would always be awash in sink waste water.

But this is a pumped connection and potential for some backpressure on the line and sink waste water.

The other alternative is 20 feet away with a t into the 1.5 inch cockpit drain.

So, short obvious setup and connection but pumped.line or long run.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Btw. For.those interested, 12 volt unit running well on 12 amp continuous, 18 amp intermittent dc to dc converter.
Old 16-03-2013, 00:08   #85

botanybay:

The "easy" sink drain option worries me a bit, for two reasons: (1) the back pressure from a thruhull 2' under water and (2) possible backflow contamination of the watermaker via sink drain waste (e.g., any chlorinated products, oils, etc.) Frankly, I'm pretty sure the 40E could handle the lower thruhull. If you choose this option, I suggest placing a check valve in the reject outflow line. That would also be a good time to size up the standard Katadyn hose from 7/16" to 1/2" (easier to find fittings and check valves for that size, and less overall flow resistance).

Personally I would prefer the route to the cockpit drain, despite its length and more routing work. Or, better yet, simply install a 1/2" thruhull/seacock above the waterline near the watermaker. That's what I did. Of course, I never was one to worry overmuch about having an extra thruhull here or there, especially one that small. In 14 years and over 60,000 n.m. of cruising, I never had a failed thruhull. I kept a bag of corks on hand, just in case.

Cheers,

Gary
S/V Ishi
Long Beach CA
Old 19-03-2013, 21:29   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishipaco View Post
botanybay:

The "easy" sink drain option worries me a bit, for two reasons: (1) the back pressure from a thruhull 2' under water and (2) possible backflow contamination of the watermaker via sink drain waste (e.g., any chlorinated products, oils, etc.) Frankly, I'm pretty sure the 40E could handle the lower thruhull. If you choose this option, I suggest placing a check valve in the reject outflow line. That would also be a good time to size up the standard Katadyn hose from 7/16" to 1/2" (easier to find fittings and check valves for that size, and less overall
flow resistance).

Personally I would prefer the route to the cockpit drain, despite its length and more routing work. Or, better yet, simply install a 1/2" thruhull/seacock above the waterline near the watermaker. That's what I did. Of course, I never was one to worry overmuch about having an extra thruhull here or there, especially one that small. In 14 years and over 60,000 n.m. of cruising, I never had a failed thruhull. I kept a bag of corks on hand, just in case.

Cheers,

Gary
S/V Ishi
Long Beach CA
Pretty much my thought exactly. I found a nice manifold at west which can cut into the cockpit scupper drain near but above waterline. The t into the manifold points downward so stuff in the cockpit should not.backflow. Seems like a reasonable solution.

Thanks!
Old 21-03-2013, 09:11   #87

Boat: Seafarer36c

Gary: Is there a way to use an aftermarket membrane in the 40E?. I looks like the aftermarket membranes have different plumbing but are a lot less expensive than the PUR units.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 19:54   #88

Gary;

I just wanted to bump this thread and say thanks for your ebook, your website, and helping people out. It's coincidental that I'm also in the Sea of Cortez (where you were) and the amount of water we consume (family of four) is outrageous in this heat.

I just installed the little 40e unit and I'm pretty happy with it. I've probably read your ebook maybe 3 times now virtual-cover to virtual-cover.

Thanks again, you've really helped me out,

Eric
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 21:05   #89
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Gary and Terry, what are you now up to? Cheers, Tim, ex-Casual Water, now Jet Stream
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 02:58   #90

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 39 MKII

Hi Gary,

So happy to have found you on the Cruisers Forum.
You might enlighten my doubts.
I ‘m looking for some spare parts for a my Pur (katadyn) 80e watermaker.

I believe I might need a new electric engine (12V) and a new gear box.

I'm trying to fathom my options.

I just replaced my membranes and serviced all of the seals on the pump and the drive assembly, which are fine, but realized that the oil from my gearbox leaked to the electric engine.I cleaned it and It is all still working but I'm afraid that the wear and corrosion on the gearbox main shaft will not allow me to just replace seals and gasket of the gearbox without risking have another oil leakage into the electric engine.

Is it possible to source only the shaft/gear that holds the key from the gearbox to the drive assembly and a seal and gasket kit? That would also solve my problem.

I also don’t know where I could get the kits and parts from.

Thank you very much

Lucas

www.santapaz.cpm
Santa Paz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
katadyn, repairs, troubleshooting, watermaker