Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-04-2016, 06:19   #136

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Re: PUR / Katadyn Watermaker Help from an Ex-Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
That would be SV Third Day, not Jedi.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Oh thanks! I did think I missed something.. hehe.. good that someone here knows something

ErikFinn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 07:47   #137

Hi Erik,

the unit for sale on ebay that you linked to says 80 II on the outer case rather than 80 E. It has 2 separate pressure vessels, each with a membrane inside.

My 80E is not in a case and it has a single long pressure vessel containing 2 membranes. All versions use the same type membranes I think.

A seller would be crazy to let somebody dismantle pressure vessels to inspect membranes. They might easily damage vessel, membranes, seals or spigots. Even if they didn't damage anything or introduce bacteria the unit would still need re-pickling.

Can't tell if the membranes are OK just by looking anyway. If they were dry though that would mean they're probably useless.

Repeated TDS meter testing of product water with acid/alkaline cleaning flushes between tests if necessary is the only way I know of to tell if the membranes are usable or can be restored.
It's not a quick or easy process. Even tap water can destroy membranes.

I've only learned this from reading though - experts hopefully will correct me.

unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 08:00   #138
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

That is correct, you can't tell anything from a visual inspection of the membranes other than if it's dry or smells like sewage.

The act of opening the membrane housing will incur costs (orings, snap rings etc....)
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 08:49   #139
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

It's true, a visual inspection of any membrane is worthless. Even testing a membrane should still be taken (pardon the pun) with a grain of salt. Membranes have a certain life expectancy. Usually the best ones last the longest if they are properly maintained and used often. Membranes which have been stored for long periods of time I would personally look at with a suspect eye. Even if they do produce at rate, for how long? If I get one call a month, I get a dozen. "I bought this watermaker off E-Bay at a great price" I'm going to give you years of sage advice here. Eight out of ten times you are going to be disappointed. I've seen far more bad deals than great deals. It is not unusual at all to drop $500-$3,000 on a used water maker to start and end up throwing another 1,500K-3K at it to make it what it should be for an offshore boat. I just went through this last month with another used 80E, by the time the owner was finished getting it up to specs he could have darn near bought a brand new 80E or spent another $600 and bought a brand new Spectra 150, with warranty and a service back up next to none. Like I said, good deals can be had if you know what you are doing. But with used systems youse pays your money and you throw the dice.
Tellie is online now   Reply With Quote

katadyn, repairs, troubleshooting, watermaker

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: