Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2018, 13:40   #1

Pump-Out Companies?

Our new-to-us Irwin is currently on the hard in Moore Haven, FL where are doing a total refit. Typically, holding tank pump out is done at a pump out station in the water, at a station, I know. However this option was not available to us at the time of purchase. The holding tank is FULL, not of our OWN “deposits” and god only knows how long it’s been that way. We will be doing most of the work ourselves, but have decided that one thing we would be willing to splurge and pay to have done is this first pump out. Looking for a company to do this has been much harder than I would have imagined. Has anyone out there had luck in finding this service? Thank in advance for all suggestions or out of the box ideas!
SV Resolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 14:14   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Pump-Out Companies?

Have you tried septic tank pumper truck services? They service marina holding tanks that aren't connected to sewer lines.You might even find one that would put you on his route for a reasonable fee so you could continue using the toilet while on the hard.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 14:30   #3

I did try two septic companies whose names I was given but they didont have the proper attachments for a boat. I also tried four or five porta pottie rental companies, same issue. Perhaps I just haven’t found the right companies? Any referrals would be amazing. Moore Haven, if you didn’t already know, is about an hour east of Fort Myers. We are willing to pay a higher trip charge. Thank you!
SV Resolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 16:13   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Depending on how often you are going to pay for the service, or if this costs less than the service....

http://www.tank-depot.com/product.aspx?id=755
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 07:23   #5
Marine Service Provider

Find out from a pumper truck service what kind of coupling you'd need to connect a short piece of hose to theirs...that plus a few feet of hose,a cam coupling and pumpout fitting might be relatively inexpensive.
Old 13-03-2018, 08:39   #6

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

If you have the ability to discharge via macerator, it may also be possible to get one of those rolling waste tanks that go underneath an RV.

That full tank is going to be pretty ripe, plan on flushing through a LOT of fresh water afterward.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 08:51   #7
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

I used to own a boat-to-boat pumpout service. More than once I put the pumpout boat on the trailer and towed it to a yard to pump out a boat there. You might call the local boat-based services to see if they'll do that.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 09:45   #8
Marine Service Provider

That full tank is going to be pretty ripe, plan on flushing through a LOT of fresh water afterward.

Which will also be pretty ripe--at least the first tankful, so plan on catching it too.
Old 13-03-2018, 15:27   #9

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
[/I]Which will also be pretty ripe--at least the first tankful, so plan on catching it too.
Thanks, I didn't explain it well. Flush through a lot of fresh water while you have the portable tank set up!

Might work if you have a gravity feed overboard discharge, too.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 15:48   #10
Marine Service Provider

It occurred to me after I posted that if the waste has been sitting in the tank very long--several months or longer, it may not stink at all, 'cuz once the bacteria exhaust their food source (the "nutrients" in waste), they die. All the smelly gasses gradually dissipate. Happens quicker in hot weather than in cool.

That doesn't mean he doesn't need to thoroughly rinse out the tank, though!