Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2015, 09:07   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Pulsation dampener for engine driven watermaker

I was wondering if anyone that has pulsation dampener on their engine driven RO would share their make and model.

1/2" NPT diaphragm ones are are gigantic and pricey. I tried the crappy ashcroft 1106 but two of them were leaking.

I am at a point where if I increase the flow vibrations are substantial.
I have Cat 290 on a 7" clutch driven by 5" crankshaft pulley (Westerbeake 40)
I have two SW30-2540 in parallel.
brine flow is anywhere from 1.75(bad) to 2.25(decent) gpm depending on my engine RPM. Interestingly I have a 3/4" scoop strainer for watermaker intake and If i make water while under way, i can get away with more brine flow before vibrations become noticeably bad.

I feel like high pressure hoses will be prone to damage at these types of vibrations and pulsation dampener might help.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 23:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Pulsation dampener for engine driven watermaker

It sounds like your pump is doing all the work, taking in 0 psi water and making high membrane pressure. Usually there are 2 pumps. One low pressure and one high. The pressure pump is more efficient that way. Probably why underway the vibration is better. Unless you have a pressure gauge, you may be running your membrane at low pressure.
I have a salt water pressure system (for wash down, etc.) that supplies about 40 psi water to the water maker pressure pump. No dampeners, etc.
Lepke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 06:52   #3

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Re: Pulsation dampener for engine driven watermaker

thanks, ill try to increase feedpump pressure. I keep it about 5-10psi. I have a new Flojet 4305 pump. The last one I had was overheating. It was also a flojet. Thats why i try to keep the pressure low.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, water, watermaker