Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-03-2013, 15:23   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Proper sink drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
I assume the ball valve is brass... Are you woried about the disimilar metals between the Skin Fitting and the Ball Valve?
nope,i have used nickle plated brass ball valves with bronze skin fittings on the last few boats i have built,normaly get at least 10 years out of them before the ball siezes or the handel breaks,long before corrosion or electrolysis becomes an issue.

Old 14-03-2013, 15:31   #32

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by catakate View Post
I omitted to mention my boat is a trailer sailer. Plastic thru hull in plain sunlight, even in the winter, is no good. Too much zinc in brass for my taste so there I see 2 options left but no-one mentioned Stainless Steel. Why?
I assumed based on its size it was a trailer boat, which is why I recommended the Marelon seacocks, especially of you are sailing in salt water.

Marelon is not plastic, it is a polymer compund with additives. Marelon is UV resistant, operates in temps from -22 degrees (f) and up to 176 degrees (F) and does not corrode or suffer electralysis. They are even making winches and other products out of the material, so the sun isn't a problem.

Before dismissing it you should look at the specs unless of course cost is your sole concern.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 15:36   #33

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
nope,i have used nickle plated brass ball valves with bronze skin fittings on the last few boats i have built,normaly get at least 10 years out of them before the ball siezes or the handel breaks,long before corrosion or electrolysis becomes an issue.
I have seen them used on other boats and always wondered how long they would last, especially without being able take apart the valve to clean and inspect.

Thanks!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 15:45   #34

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
I assume the ball valve is brass... Are you woried about the disimilar metals between the Skin Fitting and the Ball Valve?

What? With his kind of energy? He probably keeps on it judging by his use of single hose clamps.
Atoll is da man!
Old 14-03-2013, 15:57   #35

Boat: Anderson 22

Quote:
Before dismissing it you should look at the specs unless of course cost is your sole concern.
I didn't dismiss it and yes, I haven't checked the specs for the reason expressed at that moment. Thanks for pointing that out, I really appreciate all valuable input on any matter, of any kind.
Old 14-03-2013, 16:02   #36

I also have to point out that according to wikipedia any plastic is also a polymer: "the terms polymer and polymeric material encompass very large, broad classes of compounds, both natural and synthetic, with a wide variety of properties. Because of the extraordinary range of properties of polymeric materials, they play an essential and ubiquitous roles in everyday life, from those of familiar synthetic plastics and other materials of day-to-day work and home life, to the natural biopolymers that are fundamental to biological structure and function."
Old 14-03-2013, 16:25   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
What? With his kind of energy? He probably keeps on it judging by his use of single hose clamps.
Atoll is da man!
bare in mind,not all hose clamps are equal!

a solid high quality ss hose clamp with indentations pressed into the band is far superiour to a ss hose clamp with the thread punched through the band.

in 30 years of working on boats i have rarely seen a solid band type fail,but frquently have seen the punched type fail.

worth spending the money on a single good quality clamp,than 2 of the other type.
Old 14-03-2013, 16:30   #38

Quote:
a solid high quality ss hose clamp with indentations pressed into the band is far superiour to a ss hose clamp with the thread punched through the band.
I'll second that, never had or seen one failing on a car, much higher pressure and temperature.

Although, having no road under no wheels, I'd still use 2 only to know I have a back-up if one is to fail.
Old 14-03-2013, 18:56   #39

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Quote:

bare in mind,not all hose clamps are equal!

in 30 years of working on boats i have rarely seen a solid band type fail,but frquently have seen the punched type fail.

worth spending the money on a single good quality clamp,than 2 of the other type.
Yep...I totally agree mate!
Did mine last week with solid banded hose clamps.

endoftheroad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1176097895.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	57035  

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: