Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 16:00   #1

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Propane Tank Valves

I've got two 100 lb tanks I recently bought in La. that have the old style valves and here in Florida I can't get them filled. I'm wondering if I need to have them changed to get them filled in the third world. Do other countries have the same restrictions? Anyone had any experience with this problem?
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
How are you going to transport your 100# cylinders to the 3Rd world propane depot(s)?

As of April 1st, 2002 all new cylinders, 4 to 40 pounds, must be equipped with an Overfill Prevention Device (OPD), in North America (NFPA 58).
Larger cylinders were exempted.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 13:53   #3

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
100 lb tanks

Gord
That's very astute of you. I called around and you are correct, 100 lb tanks do not require the same weird three cornered valves that now appear on the smaller tanks. The dumb cow at the RV park didn't know what she was talking about. Sorry if I sound pissed, but she wasted 1/2 of my day and $10 to get there and back. Hopefully, she'll spend the rest of her life managing a RV park.
As for how I'll move 100 lb tanks around in the third world, by handcar, wheelbarrow, dolly, donkey, tricycle or whatever. People in the third world are infinitely better at logistics and transportation than we are here. You can cross Panama faster on public buses then you can drive yourself, and it costs two dollars.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote