Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2015, 08:35   #1

Boat: Tashing TaShiba 36ft
Propane Tank

Refilled tank will not turn on. I disconnected the line and made sure that there was no residual propane in the lines reconnected and still will not turn on.
dearmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:24   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Propane Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearmstr View Post
Refilled tank will not turn on. I disconnected the line and made sure that there was no residual propane in the lines reconnected and still will not turn on.
Assuming you turned the bottle valve to the fully opened position and you have a Solenoid Valve connected to the bottle, did you turn the solenoid on? Most Solenoid Valves are connected to a control panel that is also connected to one or more gas sniffer/sensors and if one or more sensor is detecting gas (propane or even hydrogen from a "bubbling" battery being recharged) the Solenoid Valve will not open (although, normally, a audible alarm will also sound). Of course, the foregoing also assumes there is power to the control panel and from there, power to the Solenoid Valve. If so, the Valve itself may have failed or been damaged when you removed it to refill the bottle. Fortunately, failed valves remain "closed" as a safety measure.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:49   #3

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch
Re: Propane Tank

Excess flow valve in tank may have tripped. turn off tank, -you may hear a click when the valve opens again, I pick my tank up an inch or so and drop it.
Activate solenoid valve, SLOWLY turn on tank about 1/4 turn to fill lines.
After pharting around with this and getting the safety button on the lighter to work, I managed to get a minor explosion in the Magma grill and lose the hair on my arm. But it was a SAFE explosion.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane